Cinnamon Sticks

(8 Posts)
kah22 Fri 19-Feb-16 10:34:53

On a whim I bought some cinnamon sticks but when I got them home I realised I had no idea how to use them!

They seem almost impossible to grind to any sort of a fine powder, I'm us using the grinder attachment of a Kenwood Chef.

I've no idea if I pop them into my porridge in the morning, or into rice pudding, or use them as an infusion how many times I can use them? If I popped one into a jar of sugar would I get a lovely flavoured cinnamon sugar?

There are two questions here. Can you give me some practical examples of how to use these sticks? Or is it the case that this spice is one best bought fresh?

Kevin

TheSteveMilliband Fri 19-Feb-16 10:37:04

Crumble up a bit and fry with other spices for curry- take out any big bits before serving. I think generally it's more like sticking a bay leaf in for flavour, remove it later. Mulled wine?

TheSteveMilliband Fri 19-Feb-16 10:37:48

I have a Jr. But to be honest don't use that much. Once a year for mulled wine and for the odd curry

cdtaylornats Fri 19-Feb-16 15:42:17

You can smoke them.

cdtaylornats Fri 19-Feb-16 15:47:08

Yes you can put one in with a jar of sugar and it will taste of cinnamon, or mulled cider.

The recipes I use them in are
Kashmiri Lamb
Moroccan Lamb
Spiced Beef & Red Pepper Stew
Spiced Prawn & Coconut Pilaf
Sweet & Sour Pork
Chicken & Date Tagine

AnnieKenney Fri 19-Feb-16 15:59:30

I love these recipes which all need a cinnamon stick:

Whole braised chicken

Tip - it works much better if you use full fat milk.

Chickpea and aubergine pilaf with garlic yoghurt (scroll down)

One pot date liquor and lamb

Saracarbonera Sat 20-Feb-16 19:43:35

I put one into the milk when making rice pudding.

Wolpertinger Sat 20-Feb-16 19:51:31

If a recipe calls for a cinnamon stick you don't really do anything with it, you just chuck it in as it is. Most I might do is break one in half. No grinding.

And then try to remember to take them out at the end as DH doesn't understand the not eating them bit as MIL didn't do spices grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now