Spanish chicken stew without tomatoes?

(6 Posts)
summerdreams Tue 16-Feb-16 16:13:01

Im struggling to get my ds 18 month old with a milk allergy and who is also intolerent to citrus to eat sauce type meals this week im making a dairy free chicken korma, lamb tagine and wanted to do a spanish chicken and chorizo stew. Now ive been searching for a recipe with saffron, red peppers, chicken and chorizo but with no tomatoes do you think this would work with chicken stock and no tomatoes? Or any ideas or recipes? smile

summerdreams Tue 16-Feb-16 16:49:02

Also was gonna put cannelini beans, garlic, onions, olives and paprika

OnlyLovers Tue 16-Feb-16 16:52:47

There is, or used to be, a line of products called NoMato, including what looked like cans of tomatoes. I never really looked closely at them but got the impression they were for people wanting to avoid tomato.

I used to see them in Whole Foods Market. Worth googling for them?

OnlyLovers Tue 16-Feb-16 16:53:31

And also, if your DS is OK with coconut milk, that's a very good way to make stews/curries in sauces without using tomatoes or dairy.

DistanceCall Tue 16-Feb-16 19:15:57

I'm Spanish. The standard base in Spain for any meal is the sofrito, which is fried onion, garlic, and green pepper (although any other colour will also do).

Heat olive oil in a pan, add onion and bell pepper and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic, sauté for another few minutes. People often add tomato then, but you can skip it. Add some pimentón (paprika). Voilà! Youu can use this as a base for any meat.

Also, Nigella does a Spanish chicken using potatoes that is rather good:

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

summerdreams Tue 16-Feb-16 21:32:32

thankyou soo much going to look into all of these now and the nigella recipe looks yum smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now