Has anyone made an Anna Jones cake?

(9 Posts)
hooliodancer Fri 12-Feb-16 09:55:09

Thinking of making either the lemon cannelini cake or sweet potato malted chocolate cake for my birthday tomorrow.

I am.trying to lose weight, so thought the tempting leftovers would be more virtuous!

But are they any good?! I love cake...

manateeandcake Sat 13-Feb-16 09:54:37

No, but I just made the healthy-sounding pancakes from A Modern Way to Cook. They were a disaster -- I don't see how they could possibly have worked. Having made a number of recipes from this book, I would be suspicious. Just make a "normal" cake, enjoy it (it's your birthday!) and give away the leftovers.

hooliodancer Sat 13-Feb-16 13:03:34

I am going to compromise and have both as I have a chocolate chestnut cake in the freezer !
I am intrigued by the cakes, so am doing the cannelini cake in a minute. I made the icing last night and it's actually quite nice- not too sweet.

I have done the banana bread and it was gorgeous, though I added an egg.

I kind of wish I was doing my usual birthday cake though! You can't beat Nigella's old fashioned chocolate cake.

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 13:08:15

I love A Modern Way to Cook. So far every recipe has been a winner despite my deep suspicions and not being a vegetarian. DH and I are practically living off her food.

But not gone as far as any of the cakes yet. She is a bit suspect nutritionally which I just ignore I have not bought any coconut oil or non-dairy milk

It is still a cake. It won't be a health food.

hooliodancer Sat 13-Feb-16 13:56:24

Yes its still a cake, but with more protein I think? I agree though, the calories are probably similar.

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 13:59:13

Nobody in the Western world without a serious health problem or an eating disorder is short of protein. It is very very easy to eat enough protein in one day.

I've looked at the cannellini bean cake myself, it looks lush. But with loads of coconut oil (fat) and honey (sugar) in, it's still a cake.

Am v interested to know how you get on.

hooliodancer Sat 13-Feb-16 16:25:16

Well, I have just tasted it (a bit that stuck to the tin, which was my fault I didn't grease it!)

There is no way I would know it was made of cannellini beans. I'm not going to tell anyone tonight and see if they spot it. Honestly, it's gorgeous! My partner was similarly shocked, said it was lovely. The icing is lovely, it's bloody tofu and honey and it's lovely. Can't believe it really.

Anna, I am sorry for doubting you!!!

Wolpertinger Sat 13-Feb-16 16:35:56

Ooh, may will do it next week, thanks grin

I doubt her every single recipe and then we always think they are lovely.

Enjoywhoyouare2016 Wed 27-Jul-16 11:36:43

I soo agree with the comment below...cake is cake, but if you want a delicious and light and 'I- think-I'm intolerant-to-everything' cake...it's easy and yummy and looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now