Sugar-free snack ideas

(9 Posts)
Jujuheyhey Sat 06-Feb-16 23:41:14

Since realising that I've been pretty much mainlining cake and chocolates since Christmas I've decided to give up refined sugar for Lent (& stupidly told everyone I was doing it so I can't back now it's fast approaching...)

So, no sweets, choc, cake, biscuits, or anything with added sugar. My rule of thumb is going to be that if it's naturally occurring it's fine (my get out of jail free card for keeping booze).

Luckily I don't take sugar in my tea and I'm happy with honey in my porridge but I'm going to struggle without any sweet snacks apart from fresh fruit. And even some of them have added sugar (like a packet of dried fruit and nut mix I found in the supermarket).

Does anyone have any easy snack ideas that will ease me through the first week or so?? (I'm confident that after then it will be a breeze...grin)

TIA!

Artandco Sat 06-Feb-16 23:49:22

Boiled eggs
Cheese
Pumpkin seeds
Cashews

SoleBizzz Sat 06-Feb-16 23:56:21

Cottage cheese
Fruit
Vegetables
Lean meats

Blondie1984 Sun 07-Feb-16 01:24:53

Greek yoghurt
Avocado
Crudités with guacamole or hoummous
Apple dipped in peanut or almond butter
Almonds

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Sun 07-Feb-16 01:28:39

Yoghurt with honey and raisins.
Or if you are allowed artificial sweetener - minute muffins made with stevia, almond flour and coconut.

Or you can make flapjacks with mashed banana, dried fruit, oats, nuts (optional) and an egg (oprional vanilla or almond essence). Very munchable.

Kummerspeck Sun 07-Feb-16 01:42:28

Depends how strict you are being.
Honey is every bit as bad as sugar. Dried fruit is quite high too, even fresh fruit contains a fair amount. Nuts are low in sugar but can be high in carbs which your body breaks down into sugars

For really low carb snacks: full fat yoghurt, cheese, crudités, ham, cold meats, hard boiled eggs.

Jujuheyhey Sun 07-Feb-16 09:00:48

Good ideas, thanks everyone. I'm not trying to avoid sugar per se, just stop eating stuff with refined sugar in. I know that once I wean myself off chocolate etc my sweet tooth will vanish again....hmm

Jinsky Thu 11-Feb-16 10:49:42

Cook frozen peas, fry onion, garlic and chili, purée it all with a dollop of creme fraîche or natural yoghurt.
Makes a great dip for crudités.
Or pasta sauce.
Or wrap sauce.
Or to go with chicken breasts.
Or just on its own.

Higge Thu 11-Feb-16 12:15:59

Frozen veg, cheese, nuts, jerky, ham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now