veggie/vegan dinners without oniony things and without cheese...?

(11 Posts)
magnificatAnimaMea Thu 28-Jan-16 21:46:32

We, like most people, eat too much meat.

We already do asian-type stir fries with cashews and/or tofu. Also soups based on vegetables and coconut milk.

I'd like to cook veggie or vegan recipes involving beans and lentils, but it's slightly more difficult than usual, as I'm unable to eat any form of dairy, or onions/ leeks/ shallots/ garlic, or most curry, without absolutely hideous indigestion and somewhat unsociable digestive consequences. This means absolutely no cheese, no milk in bechamel sauce, etc. Catering for this tends to make most recipes involving lentils/beans fairly much like eating cardboard. Many non-curry veggie recipes in particular seem to get all their flavour from either cheese or onion-family ingredients.

Anyone got some good vegan or veggie recipes that aren't curry, aren't oniony, and don't contain any dairy at all?

MadauntofA Thu 28-Jan-16 22:06:41

I have just bought Amelia Freer's New cookbook - she is gluten and dairy free, does eat meat but not in all recipes. I have tried some of the veggie ones and they are delicious. Also Google Nigella's spicy cauliflower and chickpea salad - lovely!

MadauntofA Thu 28-Jan-16 22:09:27

It is called Cook, Nourish, Glow

stonefree Thu 28-Jan-16 22:11:54

Roast chickpea and broccoli burritos
Red lentil bolognese (leave the onion out)
Cottage pie (leave the onion out and use soy milk and vegan butter for the mash)
Couscous stuffed red peppers
Pea and mint risotto
Pearl barley with roast veg
Jambalaya (leave the onion out)

I don't have recipes for these but if you google you should be able to find done

stonefree Thu 28-Jan-16 22:12:53

Falafel burgers

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 28-Jan-16 22:13:28

Ooh yes, Nigella's cauliflower salad is lovely, I make it with a full cauliflower and it does lunch for a couple of days.

Have you tried green lentils? They are good in more salady type things which don't need onions as a base. Or a sort of nutty stir fry with Asian flavourings.

My friend does an amazing aubergine thing - half a smallish aubergine, she brushes it with miso and soy then roasts it, giving it a baste every now and then, then serves it with roasted asparagus.

Seriouslyffs Thu 28-Jan-16 22:15:41

Gujarati dal- no aliums at all; add some asofeitada if you can find it.

Wolpertinger Fri 29-Jan-16 19:39:17

Have you seen Anna Jones' books A Modern Way to Cook and A Modern Way to Eat?

I'm not vegetarian at all and DH is very much not so and we are loving her recipes. She has a lot of vegan recipes and uses non-dairy I've just ignored this but the recipes are designed for non-dairy

Nothing so far has been too oniony so I think there is also a lot of scope for missing them out - everything is very flavourful so doesn't need every item she adds eg we did something that in her recipes was supposed to have baby leeks on top, I didn't have them so missed them out, we both still loved it anyway.

magnificatAnimaMea Fri 29-Jan-16 22:28:53

Sounds good, all of it - thanks - will look all those up! smile

BikeRunSki Fri 29-Jan-16 22:43:32

Check out "Cookingbon a Bootstrap" blog - Jack's been having a vegan January. Their recipes are low cost, so often avoid cheese anyway, although i can't be sure about onions.

Breadandwine Wed 03-Feb-16 22:23:26

most recipes involving lentils/beans fairly much like eating cardboard.

Reels back in shock and horror!

Nooooooo!

I'm a vegan, and I cook with lentils often. Always, I love the result!

I recommend red lentils* - they take about 10 minutes to soften and cook, and then you can add them to whatever you're having with them.

Lentil and potato curry.

And one of my favourites , with rice and Savoy cabbage.

But you can 'lentilise' most recipes - just use lentils instead of mince, for example.

About the onions - I'd substitute these with celery. Some Indians eschew onions and garlic and instead use asafoetida in their curries - but it's an acquired taste (one I've grown to love!).

*Other lentils such as green/brown ones, or puy lentils are available, but take longer to cook, IME. I don't find the difference in flavour worth the extra cooking time, so I tend to stick to the red ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now