Going away for a week help me do a meal plan that nanny and DH can manage

(13 Posts)
HomeMeasurements Wed 20-Jan-16 17:44:30

Will be away for a week for work. Usually I do most of the cooking leaving finishing off bits here and there for my nanny. She's v happy to cook but she isn't great at it and usually if I get the time I enjoy doing it and would rather she had more time for the DC. So please help me with a few suggestions of healthy meals she can throw together without too much hassle or some things I can make and freeze. There's also DH to worry about on the weekend who will be liable to throw fish fingers at them.

I'll do a bolognese probably, plus maybe get some salmon so she can do a simple bake with rice and veg? Baked potatoes with something?

PolovesTubbyCustard Wed 20-Jan-16 17:48:41

Nice sausages with home made oven wedges

Shepherds pie - they can get two meals out of one

Pasta - you could make a sauce and freeze before you leave if necesary

Blondie1984 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:45:03

Do you think that either of them could manage roasting a chicken? Then they just need to do some potatoes and veg

Chilli would be a good one as it's always nicer a day or so afterwards - then it just needs re-heating and rice needs to be cooked

lastqueenofscotland Thu 21-Jan-16 07:10:44

Curries even from scratch are usually super easy esp if you have a blender.

Soups with nice bread
Sausages and mash
Pasta pesto
Chilli with rice one night then in jackets the next

QueenLaBeefah Thu 21-Jan-16 07:13:40

They are both adults do leave them to it. Fish fingers will not kill your DCs either.

DoreenLethal Thu 21-Jan-16 07:15:17

Bloody heck - let them sort it out! Crikey - are they not adults themselves?

Fairylea Thu 21-Jan-16 07:15:23

I would just leave them to it. It's a good learning curve for both of them! Fish fingers are fine for dinner sometimes. The odd week of less than perfect food isn't going to kill anyone smile

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 21-Jan-16 07:20:58

I'm with the previous 3 posters, if you're doing the shopping, just ask them what they want you to get for them to cook and then leave them to it, they are two grown adults.

HomeMeasurements Thu 21-Jan-16 11:15:21

Yes of course I know fish fingers won't kill them! Just want to make it easy on them because I'm away all week and I usually do the cooking. DH works long hours and nanny can't really cook. I mean for them to have basic easy food which is what I was asking for suggestions on, ie pasta etc wasn't looking for anything fancy

OhShutUpThomas Thu 21-Jan-16 11:20:24

Ffs are your nanny and DH mentally compromised?

Just go and leave them to it, there's no need to micro manage, they're both adults.

<steps back through looking glass>

Thurlow Thu 21-Jan-16 11:20:26

Helping the nanny and making sure that there is plenty of easy to cook food in the house sounds sensible.

Your DH? Not so much. Doesn't he have to learn? I'm a fucking awful cook, OH does 95% of the cooking, but if he's working all weekend he doesn't get things in for me and DD to eat.

Make sure there is pasta, mince, tinned tomatoes, veg, sausages etc in and then let him work it out.

toffeeboffin Thu 28-Jan-16 02:05:59

Jesus give the OP a bloody break! She asked for cooking advice, not relationship advice!

If you can't give recipe advice don't flipping post!

Higge Thu 28-Jan-16 07:09:42

I'm off for the weekend today - normally I do leave dh to it but not on a work day - he'll have spent 12 hours working by the time he gets home this evening - he'll be shattered and he'll want to order a pizza - he'd rather not, I'd prefer he didn't too - so I've made a big pot of minestrone - pasta to be added before serving.
For the other days he'll make Shakshuka, steak and chips and Roast chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now