Alternatives to cows milk / breast milk

(10 Posts)
ElaineBatt Sat 16-Jan-16 21:18:42

I need some advice please if anyone has had the same experience. My daughter is nearly 1 and has a milk protein allergy. I can't give her cows milk, goats milk, soya or milk based formula. She won't take milk protein-free formula so I've been exclusively BF her until now. However she has this week decided not to BF any more and I now don't know what to give her as an alternative. I have been expressing but this will only last so long before my supply dries up, which is starting to happen. The dieticians and paediatrician have not been too helpful so far and just old me to keep trying the formula, which she won't take. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do they have to have some form of milk still? (She has vitamins when I can get here to take them). She is a fussy eater aswell though and won't eat vegetables, only fruit so I'm worried she won't get the nutrients she needs. Does anyone else have experience / suggestions?

ScarletBegonia1234 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:21:43

We have cmpi too and use oat milk. Alpro brand is fortified so has more calcium than milk...you can also get oatly cream which is great for cooking.

Gotosleep123 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:25:37

Second oat milk. Oately (not the organic one) or alpro do an oat milk now that tastes really nice and is fortified

purplefizz26 Sat 16-Jan-16 21:28:22

Another one for oat millk!

Nanasueathome Sat 16-Jan-16 21:34:11

Another one here for oat milk
It is actually really nice and 2 year old grandson switched from nutramigen to oat milk with no problems at all
His favourite at the moment is chocolate milk
Oatly do a chocolate milk option and we mix a small amount with the regular oatly

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 16-Jan-16 21:36:16

Hemp milk.

987flowers Sun 17-Jan-16 00:18:10

My daughter has grown out of her intolerance but I breast fed and supplemented with oat milk. From what I had read it was the best way to go as soya had extra hormones and rice milk contained arsenic! (Both minimal but pay seemed to have no dodgy extras)

jorahmormont Sun 17-Jan-16 00:28:12

Oatly is supposed to be fab.

Meht Sun 17-Jan-16 00:29:49

We trialled Oat Milk, with the dietitician, but went back to Soya, as DD still had a bad tummy, Sainsburys did have Oat milk on offer.

Meht Sun 17-Jan-16 00:31:22

P.S there is an allergy section on here in health somewhere if you want more info/advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now