Wash out your jam jars, it's Marmalade time

(12 Posts)
Iateallthemincepies Wed 06-Jan-16 13:22:34

Boil first then slice, or the other way round?
What's your best recipe?
Dare I use a food processor to slice?
I need a marmalade threadwink

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Jan-16 15:36:26

Boil first, then slice. Do not use a food processor as the peel absolutely MUST be chunky. This covers things quite nicely. I cannot think why anyone who really likes marmalade would do it any other way......what planet is Lisa Falkner on? I also do a recipe with Black Treacle and whisky sometimes.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 06-Jan-16 15:44:07

My DGM used to make marmalade and store it in huge stone jars. When I think of how much imported Seville oranges must have cost in the 60s, that stuff must have been like liquid gold!

I know home made is far superior to bought (apricot when they're plentiful is our summer treat and I just do the MN microwave version) but how much do you estimate a 450g jar costs you in ingredients?

Iateallthemincepies Wed 06-Jan-16 15:50:34

What was Lisa Faulkner's Marmalade crime?

Sgt I've just bought 2 kg of oranges, some lemons and 4kg sugar from our local overpriced Deli and it cost me £12. Much more expensive that buying it. TBF they are beautiful oranges; rough and blemish free.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 06-Jan-16 15:52:59

If you have to buy jars, that would be the most expensive bit. Seville oranges are cheap, as is Granulated sugar. If you don't already have a stock of jars, you should buy some really cheap/disgusting jam from the supermarket, bin it and wash out those jars (or have some of my spares). Much cheaper than buying new jars from a shop!

Lilymaid Wed 06-Jan-16 15:54:16

I use a pressure cooker to soften the oranges, then slice by hand - removing as much pith as possible along the way.
Greengrocers usually have much better Seville oranges than supermarkets ime.

Mermaid36 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:56:03

I cut into quarters, then cook....slice after that...

Iateallthemincepies Wed 06-Jan-16 15:57:54

My DM puts all the pith and seeds in a milk pan and boils it separately.
I tend to use a muslin bag hanging over the side of the jam pan. But it is tricky to squeeze out the juice when it's hot.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 06-Jan-16 15:59:42

So about £2 per kilo. I could live with that. smile

I'm saving Lidl jam jars for my efforts. Their raspberry one is very tasty and they've just changed the jars to a Bonne Maman rip-off!

Whatevva Wed 06-Jan-16 16:08:25

I used to get organic oranges when I had a box delivered, but cannot find any locally - I will have to order a one off box hmm and over-excite their marketing people...........

I tried making marmalade with that tinned stuff last year, and DH said not to bother again, as the waitrose essential is much better and cheaper.

I slice, then boil, as the boiled fruit made my fingers wrinkly when I tried it. You need a very sharp knife, though.

SarahatCraftInvaders Wed 20-Jan-16 12:40:31

We've shared a post on our blog, for making marmalade using whole fruit we froze last year, I find cutting the fruit up loads easier once its cooked, and this recipe cuts out the muslin bag too. Hope it helps...

craftinvaders.co.uk/recipes/seville-orange-marmalade-made-with-frozen-fruit/

whatevva Wed 20-Jan-16 13:15:38

I like the 'sunshine in a jar' grin

Freezing is a very good idea. I will try that if I can get any more oranges as I now have a bit of space in the freezer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now