2016 is the year my son eats fruit

(14 Posts)
recyclingbag Tue 05-Jan-16 10:42:23

My children don't really like fruit.

DS1 will eat a banana if pushed.
DS2 will only tolerate fresh raspberries. hmm

They both have sweet tooths but refuse fruit. I fear I need to cut out sweets and puddings don't I.

How can I get them to eat more of it? They refuse smoothies, or adding it to porridge etc.

I'm sick of buying it and then eating it myself or watching it rot.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 05-Jan-16 10:50:47

We eat hardly any fruit, the occasional box of ready chopped stuff and that's about it, but we do eat loads of different veg.
I honestly wouldn't worry.

recyclingbag Tue 05-Jan-16 12:11:47

yeah, they're not that great on vegetables either!

DoreenLethal Tue 05-Jan-16 12:15:06

What about not buying sweets and puddings and having a cut up fruit bowl at the end of meals - just don't mention it being fruit, just pudding.

They will eat what is on offer, you are the one that makes these decisions.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:38:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

recyclingbag Tue 05-Jan-16 15:46:24

I reckon they'd just dip their fingers in the fondue smile. That's a good thought though. One will eat apple crumble but no other - not even apple and blackberry.

Doreen you are of course right. It's a hard one though.

However all the Christmas chocolate is gone so I'll try just not buying any and see how it goes.

DesertOrDessert Tue 05-Jan-16 16:00:24

If your going to encourage fruit and veg consumption, I'd go for veg over fruit.

Fruit in stuff? So banana muffin like stuff for pudding to start with?
Will they eat tinned fruit?

recyclingbag Tue 05-Jan-16 23:32:33

Veg is OK. However on weeknights often it's a rush and they get pasta with cheese and peas. I try to get more veg into them but it's hard in the week.

I would like them to come in, grab some fruit etc and then I wouldn't mind so much.

DS1 will eat sliced cucumber with anything, DS2 will eat one slice of pepper but no cucumber.

ceeveebee Tue 05-Jan-16 23:43:39

Am I right in thinking that of the 5 a day, only 1 should be fruit? Can't remember where I read that but I think fruit is just the same as veg plus sugar?

My DS is a fruit and veg refuser. He will eat 1/2 a banana if pushed. But never knowingly eats veg except sweet potato chips so I have to hide it.
I put frozen chopped spinach in everything - tastes of nothing. Also I put at least 3 types of veg in everything (pasta with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, or rice with grated caiuliflower, mushrooms and courgettes). I make chicken nuggets with cauliflower purée instead of egg and sweet potato chips at least 3 times a week! DD is a dream in comparison, loves all veg so I don't worry about her.

Luckily he does like smoothies so I do berries and apples with avocado, sometimes a handful of spinach in there too - can't see or taste it!

ExtraBlessings Wed 06-Jan-16 17:44:46

My DS won't eat fruit. A few grapes under duress for his snack at school. He has chopped up dried fruit in natural yoghurt for pudding some days and for the rest i try to get plenty of veg in. I feel for you, I too end up trying to eat all the fruit before it rots!

teacher54321 Wed 06-Jan-16 17:51:32

Ds is a fruit and veg refuser. He eats bananas when he sees someone off the telly eat them hmm and occasionally raw apples and carrots. He will eat broccoli, potatoes and peas. He will also eat raisins and I have gone back to giving him pots of fruit purée for pudding.

lljkk Wed 06-Jan-16 18:06:54

DD & DS1 will fight over fruit (I mean fisticuffs).
DS2 just quietly hands blackberries to them, but never a berry to pass his own lips.

I don't rate your chances, OP, but good luck anyway!!

BertrandRussell Wed 06-Jan-16 18:09:30

I have one fruit bat and one who has not let a scrap of fruit pass his lips since he was 18 months old.

They are now 14 and 19 and if anything, the non Fruit eater is marginally healthier.

Don't worry about it!

recyclingbag Wed 06-Jan-16 22:28:13

Thanks all. Today I managed to con them into brown rice.

It's not fruit but still worth a point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now