Can I have your best veggie stew recipe please?

(5 Posts)
lavendersun Tue 05-Jan-16 07:13:36

Fed up with my usual recipe, have got acorn and butternut squash, parsnips, carrits, swede, spinach, sweet and normal potatoes and tomatoes veg wise. Grains/lentils a plenty

Nothing too spicy as family meal. Usually do one with pearl barley and Parmesan dumplings but would like something different.

lavendersun Tue 05-Jan-16 16:24:08

Anyone?? I go to a fab restaurant where they would have something on the menu like squash and spinach casserole with a hint of thai flavour or some other lovely asian inspired dish - just a bit wary of inventing one myself as I need to eat and will only be cooking once!

Onykahonie Thu 07-Jan-16 18:35:02

How about a vegetable tagine?
You can throw in any vegetables you, have rather than sticking to those in the recipe.

PurpleThermalsNowItsWinter Thu 07-Jan-16 18:42:54

I sauté garlic, onions & leeks then transfer to my roasting dish (because it's the biggest). Add roughly chopped carrots, finely chopped swede, parsnip batons, potatoes, veg stock, passata, parsley, rosemary, oregano, red lentils, pearl barley and basil and leave to cook in the oven for a few hours. Top up with water/passata as required. In the last 20 mins add potatoes, butternut squash and/or cauliflower if wanted.
Serve with either a spoonful of natural yoghurt or a sprinkle of grated cheese and fresh bread.
You can add chillis to make it spicy too.
It's also really nice reheated the following day in jacket potatoes.

lavendersun Thu 07-Jan-16 18:54:09

Thank you - well I made something up last night involving indian spices and coconut milk. It was lovely, onions, grated garlic and ginger, a few random spices, tin of tomatoes, squash, carrots, sweet potato, spinach, coconut milk and chickpeas.

I ate some for lunch today too!

But there is always tomorrow! I love both of your ideas. My go to thing is very boring (apart from the dumplings)!

I am not eating much atm (lost my appetite) and the thought of my 'usual' stew left me cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now