Could I put my Christmas cake away until Easter?

(8 Posts)
Waitingforsherlock Sun 03-Jan-16 08:53:35

Just that really. I need to stop eating the massive amount of calories I'm consuming but have still got half of a large Christmas cake left. If I store it correctly will it be ok at Easter? If so, how should I store it? Would foil and cling film be best or might it spoil? It's covered in marzipan and fondant icing. Sure it would be fine but just wanted a second opinion. Otherwise I will just eat it all before Twelfth Night. TIA.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 03-Jan-16 08:58:43

I want to do the same. How best to store it?

lavendersun Sun 03-Jan-16 09:03:26

It will be fine, people often save the top tier of their wedding cake for their first Christening cake.

Freeze for 30 mins in a bag (think carrier bag), then take it out and wrap in cling film and foil and put in a plastic sealable thing and freeze again.

The first freeze stops the cling film sticking to the icing because the outside is cold when you wrap it. Defrost in the fridge, remove the wrapping just before it is fully defrosted and then bring it out of the fridge to let any moisture on the icing evaporate.

My mother is the queen of freezing fruit cakes smile.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Sun 03-Jan-16 09:12:34

Thanks lavendersun. I'd forgotten my mum saved the top tier of our wedding cake for DD1's christening.

Waitingforsherlock Sun 03-Jan-16 15:13:58

Thank you very much. There's only about a third left now though after I've had quite a lot today blush

Palehorse Sun 03-Jan-16 19:18:03

Cleaning out mil's flat before it's sold I found a tin I'd forgotten about that contains the top tier from our wedding cake.... From 20 years ago... I'm a bit scared to open it

Watto1 Sun 03-Jan-16 19:20:17

Dh and I discovered the top tier of our wedding cake (same as a Christmas cake) about 5 years after our wedding. We had just bunged it in a kitchen cupboard in its box. It was delicious and neither of us suffered any ill effects!

rubyflipper Sun 03-Jan-16 21:11:31

I have wrapped my last xmas cake in greaseproof paper and foil. I intend to feed it with rum once a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now