I made a Boxing Day pie for lunch and it was amazing.

(14 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Dec-15 13:33:39

Honestly if you have lots of leftovers it's a great way of using them up.

Shortcrust pastry (I had some jusroll stuff in the freezer and used that)

Pastry in a pie dish. Layer of stuffing, layer of Turkey, layer of cheesy leeks, layer of stuffing. I reckon you could add other veg in instead of the leeks. I was considering adding red cabbage but decided I didn't have room for another layer.

Pastry lid. Brushed an egg yolk over the top.

20mins at 180c then 30 mins at 160c.

SteveBrucesNose Sat 26-Dec-15 13:36:06

I'm gonna do this. We're having our Christmas dinner on New Year's Day for various reasons, so am posting to mark my place so I remember to do it.

Cheers Simon!

InMySpareTime Sat 26-Dec-15 13:39:41

We had haggis instead of turkey yesterday, so our Boxing Day leftovers made haggis and parsnip soup.
Parsnips were dug up from our garden yesterday when I picked the sprouts <polishes halo>

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Dec-15 15:10:57

Oooh, I love haggis. I bet haggis pie would be nice!

InMySpareTime Sat 26-Dec-15 17:57:15

Haggis pie is very nice (I've made some previously). Needs lots of carrots/parsnips/peas to counteract the saltiness though.

Hero1callylost Sat 26-Dec-15 17:59:09

Sounds amazing smile thanks for the tip!

I sometimes do chicken, courgettes, carrot and onion in a white sauce after a roast - so tasty

dementedma Sat 26-Dec-15 17:59:10

Hmm, I have leftover turkey, red cabbage, stuffing and plenty veggies, cheese ,eggs. No leeks though and only frozen puff pastry. Any thoughts?

LeNouedDeViperes Sat 26-Dec-15 18:00:33

That sounds lovely, I've got loads of turkey left!

Hassled Sat 26-Dec-15 18:04:34

That sounds damn good. James Martin did basically the same on something this morning but it was a leftovers version of a beef wellington, if you see what I mean.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 26-Dec-15 18:08:30

Demented, I would give it a go with puff pastry.

Have to admit there's some veg I wouldn't put in, sprouts been the main offender but probably not broccoli either. I ate the pie cold and will have some more tomorrow so any veg I reckon it's got to be something which won't be horrible/slimey when cold.

Sammy1888 Sat 26-Dec-15 18:40:33

I make chicken pie with puff pastry and it's lovely! Sure that will work instead of shortcrust.

GhostsComeWith Sun 27-Dec-15 21:05:51

I got a great tip from a friend recently and I am going to try it out maybe tomorrow. Use ready made (or homemade) cauliflower cheese as the base of the pie (I have an m&s one in the freezer) add diced ham and turkey and any other veg you have or fancy. Top with cheesy breadcrumbs (I have crumbs left from making stuffing) or pastry and bake. It is delicious!

BadlyBehavedShoppingTrolley Tue 29-Dec-15 05:22:44

I made this (or similar) yesterday. It was from the Delia Christmas book.

Sauteed leeks, cold shredded turkey (and I added leftover diced ham) in a bechamel sauce with some grated cheese in, topped with parmesan.

It was lovely.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 29-Dec-15 05:25:17

We had lamb, I wonder if it would work with that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now