Give me some squash inspiration please.

(12 Posts)
needastrongone Tue 17-Nov-15 18:38:31

I have a glut of squash and pumpkin to use.

Would anyone have any ideas for me please? DH and DS prefer some meat within their meal, just as some additional information. So far, I can think of the following;

Butternut squash and chorizo lasagne and risotto.
Spicy squash/pumpkin soup (tolerable for DS and DH)
Use some in muffins or loaf.
Roasted with chicken or sausage in a tray bake.

Help, if you can. It would be much appreciated. smile

Sadik Tue 17-Nov-15 18:51:45

Squash & red pepper soup with lumps of spicy sausage in it
Squash & potato curry as a second dish with a meat curry
Grated squash as an ingredient in a stir fry (sounds dubious, but it is really nice)
Roasted squash and pepper as a side dish to almost anything
Grated squash added in after the onion and before the tomatoes in a tomato sauce.
Pumpkin pie of course

I don't know how many you have (I'm looking at 10 here in my sitting room, with another 40 or so elsewhere - transition cafe may be the only answer - but they will keep for a fair few months)

I've not tried them but I was recommended this list when I made a similar plea.

BTW if you're thinking of being inspired by Bake Off I can tell you that iced buns with pumpkin custard filling is NOT nice grin

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 18:56:14

Add butternut squash cubes to a meat chilli

Roast it with za'star or other middle eastern spices and serve with chicken and pomegranate and some green veg.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:01:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fieldfare Tue 17-Nov-15 19:03:06

Roasted pumpkin and sage risotto
Spiced butternut squash cake (it's a Levi Roots cake that turns out like a carrot cake) with cream cheese frosting
Curried pumpkin soup
Roast with fennel seeds and new potatoes
Squash, carrot and sweet potato mash

needastrongone Tue 17-Nov-15 20:07:43

Thank you. Baring in mind DH and DS enjoy meat, I think the following would work, appreciate the suggestions. The link is fab, and huge!

Squash and red pepper soup with spicy sausage.
Squash cubes in chilli.
Risotto with chorizo added.
Cake
Roasted with fennel (rather than seeds?) and new potatoes.

Myself and DD are happy with veggie options, but I need to essentially cater for all 4 of us.

I have quite a few to use! Wondering about chutney?

HuevosRancheros Tue 17-Nov-15 20:23:17

It's from the smitten kitchen list that has already been linked to but this is amazing smile
Squash roasted with a bit of chilli on top of toast with sweet-sour vinegary caramelly onions, creamy tangy goats cheese and fresh zingy mint. Heaven. I don't really like squash, but I buy it just to make that.

I get that you are looking for something with meat in it, so maybe do this for lunch/ a snack? But please, please do make it grin

Coletterbox Tue 17-Nov-15 20:40:44

Here are a few squash recipes that I like smile
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/chilli-roasted-butternut-squash-soup/
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-creamy-coconut-butternut-squash-curry/
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/butternut-squash-gnocchi/
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/autumn-cottage-pie/

SwedeDreams Tue 17-Nov-15 20:51:59

Squash roasted in little cubes, with salt and thyme and halved cherry tomatoes. While that's cooking make some pasta, and fry some bacon lardons, and a few pine nuts if you have them. Mix everything together with pesto. Is very nice!

Also cubed squash fried in mix of butter and oil until browned. Add in a big handful of chopped cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper, couple of torn sage leaves. Add dry fried cumin seeds and serve with pasta. Or you could add chicken to this and serve with baby roast potatoes?

SwedeDreams Tue 17-Nov-15 20:57:01

Also if you like sweet tasting squash, try it cubed and roasted in a 50/50 mix of oil and brown sugar with half a teaspoon of cinnamon, salt and a bit of cayenne pepper. We have this with cardamom rice and raisins to accompany chicken.

needastrongone Tue 17-Nov-15 22:11:22

Huevos Sounds divine! Love goats cheese.

How come I don't know about these sites? The eatdrinkcook site is fab, I have spent ages perusing. There are tons of recipes on there I would like to try. I do love cooking, it's just I was lacking a bit of inspiration for so many squashes...

swede Quite regularly do cinnamon sweet potato wedges, I hadn't thought about squash.

Thanks again all, brilliant ideas.

fieldfare Wed 18-Nov-15 07:39:16

That creamy curry looks amazing.
Have emailed the link to my recently turned veggie Dd, she loves squash. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now