No cook lunches

(17 Posts)
LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Mon 02-Nov-15 18:38:51

Hello,

I'm trying to save money but still be healthy so started taking packed lunches to work.

There is a kitchen but I have OCD and wouldn't use the communal microwave. I could stand to use the kettle but that's all.

Am I doomed to a life of rotating sandwiches?!

Thanks,

987flowers Mon 02-Nov-15 18:44:57

I like pasta salads or cous cous with roasted veg and feta which I also eat cold. The other thing for a bit of a change is crackers and cheese or hummus! Not that that's very exciting!!!!

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Mon 02-Nov-15 18:46:18

Any wee idea helps, flowers! Thanks!
Yeah, pasta is icky the next day so I guess I have to moisten it up with mayo etc.

MountainDweller Mon 02-Nov-15 18:54:11

Rice salad with tuna, mixed beans and corn is lovely. Add parsley and balsamic dressing.

TrinityForce Mon 02-Nov-15 18:54:54

you're doomed to salads, my friend. salads.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Mon 02-Nov-15 19:10:47

Salads?! That's even worse than sandwiches!

987flowers Mon 02-Nov-15 21:24:09

I mix pesto and sautéed onions, mushrooms and peppers with the warm pasta then eat that cold the next day, the pasta seems ok like that. Tuna mayo and sweetcorn works well too!

Mummyoftwo91 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:19:35

I make a nice cold noodle salad, cooked wholewheat/soba noodles, dressing of spring onions, soy sauce, sea same oil and seasame seeds, really nice cold could even add some chicken in too

Backtonature Tue 03-Nov-15 12:45:23

Soup in a thermos and a crusty roll

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 03-Nov-15 12:48:26

If you get some dry rice noodle nests, pop them in a jar with a stock cube and some finely chopped cooked meat and veg (grated carrot, peppers, spring onion and that sort of thing) then come lunch you just need to cover with boiling water, put the lid on for 5-10 mins and you've got a ramen type pot noodle thing. smile
It also works with Couscous.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Tue 03-Nov-15 12:59:29

Adding these to my list! Thanks.

FinallyHere Tue 03-Nov-15 13:01:15

How about a thermos flask, for soup or whatever you ate the night before?

Backtonature Tue 03-Nov-15 13:53:31

Also pesto pasta in a thermos might work if you cook it while you make your breakfast

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 03-Nov-15 17:44:09

Yes get one of those food thermos thingies and the world is your oyster wink

Mini frittata (made in a muffin tin) are good cold with salad and maybe bread.
Roasted veg, couscous, chickpeas, feta or chicken.
Cold pasta works quite well tossed in pesto and a little olive oil while still warm. When cool add cherry toms, spinach, mozzarella balls or chicken.

eltsihT Tue 03-Nov-15 17:52:27

I sometime to broccoli and cheese muffins which I slice and spread butter on.

whois Tue 03-Nov-15 21:30:53

Filling cold salads with lentils, giant couscous, quinoa. Loads of recipes or just make your own up.

Mezze/smørrebrød type selections - on different themes (Greek, Indian, italian, Scandinavian etc)

Cold quiche or tartlets or pastrys

Firttata

Cold pizza

Cold pasta

Cheese and biscuit selection (with celery, grapes, chutney)

Different kinds of breads. This one is AMAZING and lasts for many days and is perfect with a tomato salad.
www.thekitchn.com/recipe-zucchini-and-olive-brea-122288

Flavored couscous packets and add some chorizo or chicken something - just pour over boiling water.

Tuna tartar with avocado, tomato and bread

Make your own sushi with this - mega easy, it seriously works!
www.amazon.co.uk/Sushezi-Sushi-Bazooka-Maker/dp/B00IPOB570

Cold cuts of meat with stuff like a potato salad and lettuce, or with cold rice. Thinks like chicken fajita mix are nice cold either with the wraps or rice.

whois Tue 03-Nov-15 21:33:23

Better link for the sushi maker
www.amazon.co.uk/SUSHEZI-Home-Sushi-Maker-Perfect/dp/B002AVYQNY/ref=pd_cp_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=128X0RYS1B3V09ZAB87Q

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now