baked beans with no sweeteners?

(13 Posts)
Osmiornica Mon 19-Oct-15 20:14:04

Are there any low sugar baked beans with no sweeteners in them?

I used to buy heinz but they've started adding sweetener to theirs which I don't want. The whole point was that they were less sweet not to replace the sugar with crap.

I can't find any others.

neversleepagain Mon 19-Oct-15 21:23:01

We use Geo Organics baked beans.

You could make your own with harricot beans.

cdtaylornats Mon 19-Oct-15 21:50:36

Even the Geo Organics seem to be sweetened with fruit syrup.

The best way might well be to make these www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/baked-beans/

and alter the sugar until you get to the point you want.

NotTodaySatan Mon 19-Oct-15 21:51:59

Whatever you do do not buy the Aldi ones. They taste strongly of cinnamon and are utterly vile.

I know it's a faff but making your own is probably the best idea.

Osmiornica Tue 20-Oct-15 18:36:06

Thanks smile

Looks like I might be making my own then although it'll be a challenge getting the children to eat them as they hate anything I cook. They only ever liked the heinz ones.

Why must companies put such crap into food.

daisydalrymple Tue 20-Oct-15 18:39:56

Seriously?? Heinz low sugar / salt ones have sweeteners? How did I miss that in the list? It's mainly for the lower salt that I buy them but I can't believe I didn't notice sweeteners, back to the original for us then.

Osmiornica Tue 20-Oct-15 19:07:30

Yes, I think it's quite recently. They still advertise the as 'no artificial sweetener' but they now have stevia in them (which to my mind is an artificial sweetener unless they're chopping the leaves up which I doubt. Basically, they've gone for version just with less real sugar not less sweet.

Pantah630 Thu 22-Oct-15 13:23:26

I make my own and the sweetness comes from maple syrup. Have recipe if you'd like it.

Onthepigsback Fri 23-Oct-15 07:48:34

I went to buy the low sugar/salt ones for the kids and read the ingredients. Was shocked! Not just sweetness but a whack of chemicals I'm unfamiliar with. I bought the full sugar ones instead. I'd prefer to give the kids less over plying them with a load of chemicals and sweetners. Food companies should be ashamed. Will try make my own. Thanks for the recipe.

Pantah630 Sun 25-Oct-15 08:08:57

This is the recipe mine is based on, with a few differences. I leave out the ham and reduce the olive oil, sometimes don't bother with onions and just use 1 tin of cannelini, or other, beans and 1 of tinned toms. If you'd rather a smoother sauce, you need to whizz up the toms and onions, if using, before adding beans..

300g mixed dried beans (such as haricot or navy, borlotti & cannellini)
1 smoked hock (about 900g), skin and fat removed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
800g can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Fry off garlic, and onion if using, add rest of ingredients, bring to boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes. I make it in a large milk pan, as you would a can of baked beans. It's very tasty and we have as a treat, we rarely have baked beans these days, whereas they were a staple when the boys were younger and needed feeding fast.

originalmavis Sun 25-Oct-15 08:13:00

Whole earth ones use apple juice to sweeten them. They are rather nice.

happylass Wed 04-Nov-15 18:45:29

I make my own using this recipe. Even my super fussy DH liked them!
thekitchenshed.co.uk/clean-eating-baked-beans/

BlanketSky Sun 08-Nov-15 12:32:34

Waitrose 'essential' beans have sugar still, 4g per 100g. Not sure how that compares but they are our family's favourites, don't taste as sweet salty and aren't as watery as many others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now