Food hygiene - is it safe to reheat leftover pie made with leftover roast chicken?

(8 Posts)
Mamushka Wed 16-Sep-15 22:11:29

Roasted a whole chicken yesterday and ate half. Put the leftovers in the fridge overnight.

This evening, turned the rest of the cooked chicken into a chicken, bacon and mushroom pie and ate half of that tonight.

Is it safe to reheat and eat the other half of the pie tomorrow?! It would be the first time the pie is reheated but the second time the chicken inside it is reheated.

This stuff really confuses me...

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Sep-15 22:13:51

Me too.
Surely you've already reheated the chicken once, which I thought was a bad thing

capsium Wed 16-Sep-15 22:15:12

I wouldn't reheat because, as you say, the chicken would be reheated twice.

If it has been kept in the fridge, I would eat it cold, though. grin

Mamushka Wed 16-Sep-15 22:17:14

Thanks. I don't understand that rule though, if it's fine to eat it cold why is it not okay to reheat it provided that it is thoroughly reheated? Surely a piping hot reheated meal is less likely to have dangerous bacteria than something cold...?

senua Wed 16-Sep-15 22:20:20

Do you literally mean 'reheat'? As I understand it, 'heating' technically means temperature less than 70C. 'Cooking' is a higher temperature and therefore safer.

capsium Wed 16-Sep-15 22:23:28

This says why.

answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/562799.html

Mamushka Wed 16-Sep-15 22:24:54

Well, you're right, the chicken was actually re-cooked tonight in the sense that it was sauteed and simmered in the saucepan to make pie filling and then bubbling in the oven for 30 minutes with pastry on top.

Tomorrow's reheating would involve microwaving it to quite a high heat and then sticking it in the oven to crisp up the pastry again.

I just did some Googling and the answer definitely seems to be don't reheat twice but I feel that surely if you are pretty much cooking it again rather than warming it up, that should kill any nasties...

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 16-Sep-15 22:33:15

Basically once you cook something you are resetting the critical control point.

The only reason why the advice is not to reheat twice is because you might not of reheated it to at least 70' for two minutes or Scotlands 80 or 88' I can't remember which one. That's because the danger zone is between 8' and 69' and breeds the most bacteria.

It's fine to reheat twice as long as you have really really throughly reheated it. It wouldn't be ok in a nursing home or nursery but it's fine to do at home.

I have a supervisors level 3 in food safety and I reheat food twice. although I am anal about probing the temperature

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now