Please recommend me a lower carb / nutritious / fresh cookery book or website

(16 Posts)
Rollermum Sun 13-Sep-15 21:14:07

I am looking for well-tested recipes that tend towards lower carb, healthy, not scared of fat. There are loads of blogs and books but often they are missing an element (like Jane Oliver's Super Food one looks too low fat) or aren't well tested like loads of blogs. Don't want vegetarian as a whole book. Any such thing?

Blondie1984 Sun 13-Sep-15 21:31:54

You could try Amelia Freer's blog/website

Rollermum Mon 14-Sep-15 05:25:16

Thanks! Having had a look it is possibly a bit extreme but I guess I need to pick and choose what works.

cdtaylornats Mon 14-Sep-15 10:14:23

How about the Hairy Dieters books

Bakeoffcake Mon 14-Sep-15 10:18:40

The Hairy Dieters have some great recipes. I have used them and just lowered the carb content, when I was low carbing.

Rollermum Mon 14-Sep-15 12:07:31

Thanks both - I was wondering about them. Are they fairly doable? I am pregnant and have a toddler so I can't imagine faffing too much. On TV they seem fairly no nonsense. Any particular books?

fruitlovingmonkey Mon 14-Sep-15 12:14:54

Hemsley and Hemsley have lots of healthy recipes but they are not scared of using butter and ghee, so not low fat. You can see some of their recipes online before committing to the book.

Perugia Mon 14-Sep-15 12:15:38

Try www.whole30.com - I lost 1.5 stone in 30 days (yes really)

It's not low carb, just different type of carbs (and less of them). Perfectly safe for pregnancy too.

Rollermum Mon 14-Sep-15 12:22:19

I was a bit put off by Amazon reviews of Hemsley and Hemsley, though it sounds a good fit. The bit about hydrating nuts made me think, nope. I might try some online ones first though, thanks fruitlovingmonkey

Thanks Perugia I have done Whole 30 several times but found it not very maintainable. I lost 1.5 stones too! Maybe I'm looking for easier paleo and it doesn't really exist...

Perugia Mon 14-Sep-15 12:47:33

To be fair Whole30 is pretty hard line paleo, I now stick to a more relaxed paleo diet www.nomnompaleo.com and www.againstallgrain.com are very good, such tasty recipes.

I have found that as soon as I introduce non paleo foods the bloat and brain fog come back and I notice that I can gain a few pounds very quickly.

Beware of too low carb, I find myself very, very anxious on low carb diets. I once skipped a period as I went too low card. Apparently they aren't so great for women but can be very good for men.

cdtaylornats Mon 14-Sep-15 12:59:50

I mostly use "Hairy Dieters: Good Eating". If you google " Hairy bikers diet club" you can see some sample recipes.

Collywobbles Mon 14-Sep-15 13:16:40

Gina D'acampo has written a great healthy eating recipe book called The i Diet (standing for The Italian Diet). Full of fab recipes smile

Scoffin Tue 22-Sep-15 22:44:26

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I was recently looking for a similar book and did quite a bit of research. I eventually chose 'Get the Glow' by Madeleine Shaw and it's just what I'm looking for - interesting, simple, fresh, low carb but plenty of good fats. My only criticism is that it tends towards pricier cuts of meat and fish but it's not too hard to substitute.

Notoedike Wed 23-Sep-15 07:00:36

Diana Henry: A change of appetite.....lower in carbs but definitely now low carb.

hooliodancer Wed 23-Sep-15 15:54:23

Look at the new Jamie Oliver book, superfoods I think it is. Also his 15 minute meals.

Blodss Sat 26-Sep-15 12:40:28

I second Amelia Freer. It doesn't tell you to cut out anything you don't want but leads you into more natural choices and going dairy and wheat free but you can have other foods like buckwheat bread etc. I love Coconut Dream milk which is a mixture of coconut and rice milk. I eat so much better now and have lost a stone since June without going hungry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now