Do you brown meat when using a slow cooker?

(10 Posts)
NotMyMonkey Tue 08-Sep-15 13:13:05

Possibly a stupid question, but are you supposed to brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker? So if making a Bolognese, do you brown the mince first or chuck it straight in?

Thanks

chairmeoh Tue 08-Sep-15 13:15:28

I generally do. Otherwise it comes out a bit pathetic looking.
But I've sometimes not had time to brown, and the meal is still tasty at the end of the day.

sashh Wed 09-Sep-15 09:45:56

nope

Seeline Wed 09-Sep-15 09:47:24

I do mince, but tend not to with bigger pieces of meat. I'm always slightly worried about warm meat sitting around while the slow cooker gets everything up to temperature. Seems to work fine.

NotMyMonkey Wed 09-Sep-15 17:58:34

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try my first slow cooked Bolognese tomorrow. Wish me luck!

SpottyTeacakes Wed 09-Sep-15 17:59:41

I do with mince, have you seen the fat that comes out of it? Bleurgh. I always drain it. I don't bother with anything else though!

DriverSurpriseMe Wed 09-Sep-15 18:00:32

Always.

Flingingmelon Wed 09-Sep-15 18:01:49

Makes it look a lot more appealing if you do.

sooperdooper Wed 09-Sep-15 18:02:00

No I don't brown the meat but last time I tried to do bolognaise I left it in the slow cooker far too long and made soup sad

Marmite27 Wed 09-Sep-15 18:02:11

I don't bother, but it's generally only gammon, mince, stewing steak or pork in mine.

Don't like the texture of sausages in it and only cooked chicken in a casserole or breasts in a curry, no bone in chicken in mine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now