Thickening lentil dahl now it's cooked?

(9 Posts)
Highlove Mon 24-Aug-15 14:56:11

I've made the coconut dhal from the 5 o clock apron book for dinner. It's super wet and I'm not sure what to do - it has coconut milk so I can't just boil it furiously. And it's fully cooked so I can't now really add more lentils. Is there anything I can do to recover it?

flanjabelle Mon 24-Aug-15 15:01:12

Cornflour? Mix a couple of tablespoons of corn flour with a small amount of cold water. add in little bit at a time until it is thick enough.

spanky2 Mon 24-Aug-15 15:01:44

Cook some lentils separately and drain and stir in. I think putting gravy or cornflour in would give a weird texture.

spanky2 Mon 24-Aug-15 15:03:29

I made a sauce for fish pie that wasn't thick enough so I thickened it with cornflour and it had a weird, gloopy slightly slimy texture. It could also just be my cooking!

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 24-Aug-15 15:08:50

creamed coconut

SiobhanSharpe Wed 26-Aug-15 21:27:44

Cook it gently til it reduces and thickens a bit? Or add a few small pieces of boiled potato, cook the dhal some more and then mash it roughly. You may need to adjust the seasoning. (But i like wet dhal!)

Finely chop a packet of baby spinach leaves and stir those in. Fry a couple of onions sliced into half moons, with some sliced garlic and some spices, and stir those in.

It's often served quite soup-like though.

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 31-Aug-15 13:36:17

I grate a raw potato into it and cook it for 10 more minutes.

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 31-Aug-15 13:51:02

Should have added actually...squeeze the water out of the grated potato before you add it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now