Back to school thoughts - good breakfasts?

(14 Posts)
Waswondering Sun 16-Aug-15 18:46:25

Back to school is looming and I'm looking for good breakfast ideas, for me and the dc.

Trying to move (me) away from cereals, as I know that they aren't always the perfect nutritional balance! I want to eat more healthily (and consequently trim down my waistline following those lovely holiday treats!)

Thinking about boiled eggs, maybe porridge. Avocado on toast? Basically a decent breakfast that will take me to lunch without being tempted to snack.

It is hard when you're trying to get everyone out (and we are all heading out to school and work, so I don't want to shave for hours).

Would love to be inspired ....

makemineapinot Sun 16-Aug-15 19:26:51

When I'm on sw I try to have a 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and tomatoes and a bit of bacon if I have time!! Beans on wholemeal toast is another or an egg on toast, although I love the idea of avocado on toast'

Waswondering Sun 16-Aug-15 20:01:59

Following Nigella on fb, and she seems to have that a lot, lol! Looking for speed as sort packed lunches etc. omelette could be good!

Turquoiseblue Sun 16-Aug-15 20:07:27

Porridge with blueberries

Greek yogurt with berries and home made granola (make a big portion at weekend with oats/ seeds / nuts etc and leave out the sugar so it s healthier.

French toast (eggy bread ) with stewed fruit

Scrambled eggs,

Poached eggs

Avocado and tomatoes and toast/ ryvita

Banana pancakes (made without flour)

Beans on toast

Earlybird Sun 16-Aug-15 20:09:44

Peanut butter on toast, and a piece of fruit on the side (bananas are good)

Lg74 Sun 16-Aug-15 20:57:19

I had scrambled egg with some grated cheese mixed in on toast and it was surprisingly filling. Must try it again!

Waswondering Sun 16-Aug-15 21:37:53

How do you make banana pancakes without flour? I'm guessing mash, add a beaten egg, and .....?

Blueberries, yes! Adds to list ...

Turquoiseblue Sun 16-Aug-15 22:26:49

1 -2 medium ripe but not too ripe banana 1-2 eggs,(sortof depends on size) add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder.
Mash banana mix in beaten egg,
Keep them small, have pan hot,
Lovely with maple syrup, or agave nectar (if you can get used to the taste of agave- it s lower GI than sugar or syrup)
Blueberries ontop or sprinkle toasted chopped almonds, kids love them with Nutellawink.

Waswondering Mon 17-Aug-15 07:46:22

Thanks for that

poocatcherchampion Mon 17-Aug-15 07:50:43

Nice idea!

We make granola too - oats baked with honey, add raisins. This yummy.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 17-Aug-15 08:09:44

I make a batch of pancake mix and keep in fridge - use wholemeal flour and porridge oats and honey/maple so no sugar. Mix in mashed bananas.

In the morning just dollop two big scoops in pan with butter, serve with bananas. V quick.

MelanieCheeks Mon 17-Aug-15 15:23:52

Stuff on toast: smooshed avocado, squeeze of lemon and a few dots of tabasco, marmite and cottage cheese, ham and French mustard with sliced tomato, almond butter and sliced strawberries, humous, mackerel and horseradish pate (that one's dead easy to make yourself)

Scrambled eggs in the microwave: add sliced mushrooms, pieces of ham, grated cheese, spinach, tomatoes

Greek yoghurt with berries, granola, nuts

Overnight oats - soak porridge oats in some liquid - fruit juice, milk, yoghurt. I often add frozen berries at this point. leave overnight. In the morning add nuts, grated apple, another blob of yoghurt. Pinterest is full of pretty pictures of these, and they can be prepared the night before.

Coletterbox Mon 17-Aug-15 22:54:34

Think someone's already mentioned this but homemade granola's a good one - put some nice green yoghurt in a glass or bowl, then some fresh berries and a handful or 2 of granola to top it off. Here's a recipe to try smile

www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/sunshine-granola/

Coletterbox Mon 17-Aug-15 22:56:13

Greek yoghurt! Not green - that sounds revolting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now