I am thinking of writing a book.

(5 Posts)
ModreB Sun 19-Jul-15 21:16:25

Not a journo. I am thinking of writing a recipe book, based on what my Nana taught me to cook. Shepherds pie, Hot Pot, proper Steak and Kidney pud, proper rice pudding, baked in the oven, crumble, bread and butter pud. Based on war time recipes so easy and cheap. Basically, how to feed a family with cheap meat and no money, based on what I know works. What do you think?

pollypocket123 Sun 19-Jul-15 23:21:18

Worth a shot I'd say! Have you researched similar/current books that may already be around?

Fauchelevent Sun 19-Jul-15 23:48:30

Sounds lovely, I love making a good traditional meal and prefer recipe books when I'm making them to the internet, just because the net can get a bit quirky sometimes - peanut butter oreo shepherds pie when i just want something simple.

whois Mon 20-Jul-15 11:34:09

Are you doing it just for you, or do you want to sell and make money from it? Takes a LOT to publish a cook book, do all the promotion and make money. Do you have a blog? An online following you can leverage?

Probably worth investigating that aspect of it first. It is v easy to self publish on short-order urns now tho, so you can print like, 100 copies and try and sell them yourself.

If you are doing it more as a self fulfillment project, probably worth doing a blog and then maybe pulling them all together into a book later on if it takes off.

Highlove Mon 20-Jul-15 16:20:09

As PP has said, kind of depends on why. If its self-fulfilment them sounds lovely, go for it. If it's to make money, it's a pretty saturated market and one that's going to be enormously hard to crack for someone who isn't a 'known quantity', like a celeb chef. Starting off with a blog and getting a good following in that is probably a really good place to start, either way. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now