Freezing potatoes for roasting...

(5 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Tue 14-Jul-15 22:21:23

...can this be done?

Peel, cut to appropriate size, parboil, open freeze then into a freezer bag/s. Would that work? Or would they go a peculiar colour and go a strange texture from the freezing process?

Could I <whispers excitedly> roast from frozen or would I have to defrost first? (Thereby risking aforementioned discolouration...?)

TIA! smile

Hallamoo Tue 14-Jul-15 22:22:57

Yep, I always do this! Cook straight from frozen. Delish.

prepperpig Tue 14-Jul-15 22:23:40

Yep, parboil, rough up, coat in semolina and leave to cool. Freeze and shake about once frozen so that they don't stick together.

roasting from frozen is fine but better defrosted IMO.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 14-Jul-15 22:24:30

Would work fine. I do it all the time (we don't eat a lot of spuds so had a lot of waste before)

And yy, you can cook from frozen. If you do them for 20 - 30 minutes you get a sort of fluffy mashy hybrid, they need a good 40 mins to crisp up. But we quite like the fluffy hybrid ones too.

Actually, I don't even open freeze them, I just toss them in a bag with a slug of oil, freeze, then break off the amount I need...

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 14-Jul-15 22:27:40

Yippee!

Now that bag of potatoes left over from my batch cooking frenzy the past couple of days doesn't look nearly so forlorn. And I'll have roasties ready to go with the cauli-broc cheese I made grin

Thanks, MNers, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now