How can I make rice more interesting?

(12 Posts)
FelixFelix Sat 04-Jul-15 19:07:07

We are having a BBQ tonight. DP is doing pork chops and Cumberland swirls in the smoker. Due to go shopping tomorrow so don't have loads in. I was thinking of doing some sort of rice to go with it but can't think of how to jazz it up a bit.

I have loads of different spices in the cupboard, also the usual onions & garlic. Not a lot in the way of veg apart from peas & sweetcorn. I also have tinned tomatoes, passata and coconut milk.

Any good ideas of what I can do with it?

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 04-Jul-15 19:13:39

Have you got saffron? Mix a pinch with some hot vegetable stock, fry the rice with some olive oil until translucent and then add stock a ladle at a time like a risotto. Season as needed and add whatever takes your fancy.

JillBYeats Sat 04-Jul-15 19:17:29

Peas, toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan - cook the rice in stock.
or Cashew nuts, peas and chopped coriander

ilovehotsauce Sat 04-Jul-15 19:18:27

Lime and coriander? Sweet chilli? ( a bit chavy but tasty) kidney beans and coconut milk (rice and peas?)

piechuck Sat 04-Jul-15 19:23:44

A few drops of piri piri sauce, fried onions and peppers, then add some frozen sweet corn. Goes perfectly with BBQ sausage!

FelixFelix Sat 04-Jul-15 19:29:49

Thanks for the ideas! No nuts or anything like that in. Same with kidney beans (annoyingly as I usually always have some in the cupboard). We've got a hoard of condiments and various hot sauces though as DP is obsessed. Didn't think of using them!

Dancingqueen17 Sat 04-Jul-15 20:07:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FelixFelix Sat 04-Jul-15 22:50:31

Missed the chavvy sweet chilli comment grin Luckily I went for onion, garlic and coriander to save my street cred.

JamNan Sun 05-Jul-15 11:06:10

I know it's too late but you could try koshary next time. It's lovely.

BrianButterfield Sun 05-Jul-15 11:07:24

A really easy thing is to chuck a stock cube in the cooking water and a handful each of peas and sweet corn, tasty and child-friendly too!

TwinTum Sun 05-Jul-15 11:09:45

We like rice with some pesto stirred in.

FelixFelix Sun 05-Jul-15 11:14:39

Ooh I've saved the koshary recipe as it looks lovely, thank you. Also never thought of pesto with rice! I think we will start eating rice more now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now