BBQ ideas/help!

(6 Posts)
CharleyFarleyy Thu 02-Jul-15 08:30:26

I am planning a BBQ for my daughters first birthday (18th July) we have about 13 adults and 3 children to cater for. I having asked people to bring something with them. Would it be better/cheaper to buy mince and make my own burgers or to buy pre-made? same for veg kebabs? anybody got any tried and tested recipes? Also, what are some good side dishes? TIA x

nilbyname Thu 02-Jul-15 08:35:16

My advice- keep it simple!

Sausages and nice baguette- kids and adults will eat. Make you're own caramelised red onion the day before and just warm through on the day.
I would do chicken and pepper kebabs as well and some salmon steaks. No burgers. It's either burgers or sausages but not both!

Tomato, basil and mozzarella salad is simple and yummy
Big green salad
New potato salad
I like a Waldorf salad rather than coleslaw.

Have plenty of nice condiments too.

WipsGlitter Thu 02-Jul-15 08:38:10

Don't make burgers unless you know how to - they can be a bit crumbly.
Sausages /finger roll

I find butchers sometimes have good pre prepared BBQ kebabs etc.

What are people bringing? You don't want to end up with 100s burgers!

CharleyFarleyy Thu 02-Jul-15 08:43:26

sausages are a good idea! didn't even cross my mind to think about sausages! won't bother trying to make my own burgers then, I'll keep it simple smile

Not sure what other people are bringing yet I will ask around and see if I can get a list of what people are bringing so we don't have duplicates.

Roussette Thu 02-Jul-15 08:46:54

Kebabs are so expensive to buy, make your own! If you use wooden sticks, soak them first in cold water and they won't burn when you come to barbecue.

Chop up chicken breast and sprinkle on some sort of rub (schwartz will do, although there's better out there). Chop up chorizo and red peper and alternate on a wooden stick then barbecue. You can make loads of kebabs for a fraction of the price of bought.

You could also add onion, little sausages, whatever you like.

Florin Thu 02-Jul-15 08:52:33

Our fail safe always a winner for a BBQ is butterflies leg of lamb. Either get the butcher to take the bone out or it is simple to do yourself. Marinade for a couple of days before with whatever you have (bit of honey, soy sauce, chili, lemon juice, herbs etc) then cook on the BBQ first in tin foil and then remove tinfoil. Everyone's goes mad for it and not lots of different things to cook. We reckon it works out cheaper. We sometime have a few sausages too for some of the kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now