turmeric!

(24 Posts)
AMcoffeeLover Fri 26-Jun-15 12:55:17

I've got a kidney infection, earliest doc app end of next week. I'm so desperate I'm trying old wives tales.
Tried cranberry - no good.
I'm drinking loads of water and diluting apple cider vinegar.
A friends recommended turmeric and garlic. Im ok with garlic but I hate turmeric and have no idea how to cook with it
Any recipe ideas that use quite a bit of turmeric but doesn't taste too strong would be really appreciated! x

AMcoffeeLover Fri 26-Jun-15 16:44:41

Anyone?

hippoinamudhole Fri 26-Jun-15 16:53:31

Chicken and rice

Fry chicken in saucepan for 15-20 minutes depending on size of pieces of chicken - I usually use thighs
Add a chopped onion Fry for a further 5 minutes
Add a tin of tomatoes, a pint of chicken stock and half a pint of rice
Add teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of paprika (and half teaspoon cayenne pepper of you want a bit of spice
Simmer until rice is cooked
Add some frozen peas 5 minutes before the end

applecatchers36 Fri 26-Jun-15 16:57:19

www.mumsnet.com/SearchArch?mustmatch=Lemon+soup&dontmatch=&nickname=Applecatchers36&src_displ_option=s_m_d_m&fromDate=&toDate=&topicmode=All&availtops=-1

Bunbaker Fri 26-Jun-15 17:02:14

If it's a kidney infection you need to see a doctor before the end of next week. Old wives tales won't work. Untreated kidney infections can have serious long term consequences.

Can I suggest you ring your GP back and ask for an emergency appointment. If you have to tell the receptionist you suspect a kidney infection do so. Does your surgery not do telephone appointments?

AMcoffeeLover Fri 26-Jun-15 17:04:03

Thanks

AMcoffeeLover Fri 26-Jun-15 17:06:35

No telephone apps, they don't offer them. Spoke to the receptionist and said I suspected a kidney infection. She said she'd call me back and when she did she said as I wasn't passing blood it could wait for a normal app.

NerrSnerr Fri 26-Jun-15 17:07:37

If it's a kidney infection then you need to be seen. I would call out of hours and they'll probably get you an appointment to see an out of hours gp. Kidney infections can get really nasty.

Really hope you feel better soon.

sashh Sat 27-Jun-15 12:37:21

Mix it with yoghurt (assuming you have powdered) and coat chicken pieces with it, put the pieces on a skewer - it will be a bit like a chicken tikka.

If you don't like the taste add something you do like to cover the taste.

amarmai Sat 27-Jun-15 12:40:34

I use it in lentil soup along with any onion, chili, garlic ,pepper, etc . Then i blend the lot . It doesn't stand out among the rest.

Planesmistakenforstars Sat 27-Jun-15 23:05:22

You can get powdered turmeric in capsule form, so you don't have to taste it at all

OttiliaVonBCup Sat 27-Jun-15 23:11:19

I noticed your name.
Cut down on coffee might help.

You must see your GP though.

AMcoffeeLover Sun 28-Jun-15 15:30:36

Ive cut out all coffee and booze.
Think I'll push for an emergency app tomorrow. But if the receptionist says I don't fit the criteria then how do I make her give me one?

Bunbaker Sun 28-Jun-15 21:33:42

Lie grin

GetHappy Sun 28-Jun-15 21:35:08

Do you have a walk in centre local to you?

Try adding it to a can if chopped toms with a bit of garlic. mix with dry pasta oven back and top with grated cheese

AMcoffeeLover Sun 28-Jun-15 22:05:19

I think i'm going to lie tomorrow to get an app, don't think I can take the pain sad what would guarantee me an app? Claim im Peeing blood? But when they check my wee they'll see no blood.....

GetHappy Sun 28-Jun-15 22:28:40

You can actually have wee in your urine that isn't visable so technically you may not be lieing!!

Bunbaker Sun 28-Jun-15 23:15:48

The receptionist isn't a doctor and her telling you that you need to have visible blood in your urine to get an emergency appointment is dangerous. I would mention that to the doctor when you manage to get an appointment. Untreated UTIs are dangerous.

AMcoffeeLover Mon 29-Jun-15 10:33:04

I don't have blood in my wee (yet) but I know its on the list of criteria to get an emergency app. The receptionist is working from a.list if things you have to meet to get an emergency app. So far pain, and burning/stinging when weeing and weeing every 20 mins with a slight temp isn't enough to get one.

antimatter Mon 29-Jun-15 11:27:45

Ask to have GP call you.

Radiatorvalves Mon 29-Jun-15 11:32:51

IF you think it might be cystitis, get some bicarbonate of soda. Put a big spoon in a glass of water and drink. Drink lots of water. I think that is what chemists sell in special treatments.... Works for me.

ShoutyMom Mon 29-Jun-15 20:35:44

Agree with PP, camouflage the taste. I con DD by mixing a quarter teaspoon of turmeric in her chocolate milk.

ShoutyMom Mon 29-Jun-15 20:36:37

Forgot to say, milk has to be nice and warm for it to dissolve properly.

FieldTrip Mon 29-Jun-15 20:43:09

I think if GP won't see you, you need to go to A&E - which is why A&E is under so much pressure, but not a reason for you to go without the treatment you need.

Although, being just as well qualified as that receptionist grin what you have does sound more like cystitis than a kidney infection. Could a pharmacist help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now