What's the best family cookbook?

(16 Posts)
Hadron21 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:40:37

Before the kids I'd happily spend hours in the kitchen as a hobby - trying to recreate magical meals from holidays and restaurants. Now I have two under 5 and need recipes for weekday meals.
My shelf is bursting with fancy cookbooks that I fear I'll never use again. Any suggestions?

Wolfiefan Mon 22-Jun-15 20:43:06

MN cookbook?!

Hadron21 Mon 22-Jun-15 20:53:44

I didn't know there was one!

Springtimemama Mon 22-Jun-15 20:55:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Theknacktoflying Mon 22-Jun-15 21:05:26

JO's Ministry of Food?

MrNedSchneebly Mon 22-Jun-15 22:13:23

The river cottage baby and toddler book is so good.

Also an annoying thing to say but have a go with some of your fancy recipes on them. I've got two under 5s and they surprise me sometimes with the Persiana and Nigel Slater type things they enjoy.

Sausages123 Mon 22-Jun-15 22:14:57

My daddy cooks

PenguinsAreAce Mon 22-Jun-15 22:16:23

The Dinner lady one is good for staples that appeal to most palates. It's by Jeanette Orrey.

987flowers Mon 22-Jun-15 22:26:31

I've cooked loads from Nigella's kitchen.

HeadDreamer Tue 23-Jun-15 03:03:25

Anything that cooks in less than 30min ...

My favourites are nigellas kitchen and express. Mighty spice. Diana Henry's cook simple. Nigel Slater's real fast food, 30 min cook and eat.

But I refused to cook baby food though. There are a lot of ottolenghi that's quick too. For example the salads and a simple grilled meat will make a dinner.

HeadDreamer Tue 23-Jun-15 03:04:06

Mine are 4 and under 1 btw.

Hadron21 Tue 23-Jun-15 10:26:11

Thanks everyone. They are good eaters but it's just the time element and lack of meal planning that makes me dish up the same old stuff.
I'm reducing my hours in work so will have a bit more time to prepare the evening meal. I want to get back to the joy in cooking, not just seeing it as another chore.
I've had another look at what's on my shelf already and there's a wide variety. Will take a look at your recommendations though.

HeadDreamer Tue 23-Jun-15 10:31:42

Do you cook with a tablet? I found using paprika for meal planning indispensible. (It's really all in the planning).

I created a 4 week menu all with easy to cook meals. Even without using paprika, a set menu should help a lot. But with an app, I can get grocery list from the meals, and also all the recipes inside the app. I love cooking new things so if time permits, I substitute some of the meals in the plan with new stuff I saw in cookbooks or online. The key is always selecting things that are fast to cook.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 23-Jun-15 15:02:39

I use a 30yr old "Good Housekeeping" general cookbook more than anything else although, to be fair, if that doesn't have what I want I generally just look things up online now. In many ways recipe books are, IMHO, more "Coffee Table" books than for much serious use. But what do I know when 14 of the 100 best selling books on Amazon are cookery books!

MrNedSchneebly Tue 23-Jun-15 16:09:25

You're right they are but the pleasure you get out of leafing through them is unparalleled!

Hadron21 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:49:33

I agree. I like nice pens, to do lists and shopping lists.
Meal planning here I come!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now