Elderflower Cordial recipe

(9 Posts)
AGnu Wed 17-Jun-15 17:11:56

Does anyone have a good one? I'm getting myself all confused at the wide variety of recipes online! I don't have citric acid but will chuck in an extra lemon or 2 it'll all be frozen anyway & am replacing the sugar with slightly less honey. Roughly what ratio of flower heads to sugar/water works best? TIA

Jellylove Wed 17-Jun-15 17:47:33

I use this one and it always works well, very low maintenance recipe.

Elderflower Cordial | Me And My Second Self
meandmysecondself.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/elderflower-cordial/

To help preserve the cordial you can put bottles of cordial in pan filled with water (cloth under bottles) and heat to 80 ish degrees for 30mins (lids off) and then lids on, and let cool

formerlyofLadysmith Wed 17-Jun-15 17:48:16

Ooh place marking.

AGnu Wed 17-Jun-15 19:33:29

Thanks Jelly. We now have 2 carrier bags full & am about to send DH out to buy all the honey & lemons he can find! grin Daft question, since I've never made it before, do I need to remove all the flowers from the stalk or does the whole lot go in?

AGnu Wed 17-Jun-15 22:30:11

Anyone around to answer my last question? I'm assuming I do have to strip the stalks but I don't want to be sat up all night doing it if it's not necessary!

formerlyofLadysmith Wed 17-Jun-15 23:05:45

I would put the whole head in to soak.

AGnu Wed 17-Jun-15 23:39:12

I think I love you! I've spent half an hour & only got through stripping 4 heads! blush

Jellylove Thu 18-Jun-15 06:41:55

Yes, there's no need to remove the stalk, it all gets strained later anyway

I'm hoping to make some elderflower champagne this week, I have had good results with that in the past grin

Jellylove Sat 20-Jun-15 22:47:39

Anyone got a good recipe for elderflower champagne, I fancy a go at that, explosive or not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now