Can I make pulled pork in the SC with tenderloin?

(11 Posts)
storminabuttercup Tue 16-Jun-15 19:44:36

Fancy pulled pork but trying to use what we have in, got some pork tenderloin will it work or is it not fatty enough? Any one tried it? smile

storminabuttercup Wed 17-Jun-15 07:52:37

Anyone?

CaTsMaMmA Wed 17-Jun-15 07:55:54

you can, but it will be dry and stringy and not in the pulled pork good stringy way!

...you are right about there not being enough fat in the meat.

PurpleDaisies Wed 17-Jun-15 07:56:15

No you'll just make the tenderloin tough. For pulled pork you need something cheap and fatty.

DrDiva Wed 17-Jun-15 08:13:02

I did it in the slow cooker the other day, in beer. Not quite pulled pork (wasn't caramelised, def need fat for that), but still delicious and not stringy. Used cumin and smoked paprika as flavouring.

storminabuttercup Wed 17-Jun-15 08:22:14

Hmm, I didn't wait for replies and stuck it in anyway. Maybe I could add liquid and see how it goes!

Kicking myself now!

sebsmummy1 Wed 17-Jun-15 08:24:34

I cooked tenderloin in the slow cooker yesterday and we had it for dinner with a sauce snd cauliflower cheese and peas.

Was very nice but did have a strong flavour. I used the rest this morning in a sandwich for DP and it did kind of work in a 'pulled pork' way.

The main problem is the lack of fat, so whilst it does fall apart I think you would need to have a really great sauce to give it the unctuous quality pulled pork has.

storminabuttercup Wed 17-Jun-15 09:32:58

I was kind of hoping to have it in flat bread with tzatsiki (sp) and salad I've stuck in some lemon juice, oregano, thyme and smoked paprika. Hopefully that will tone down the flavour. I should have just marinated it and grilled it like originally planned! hmm

ChilliAndMint Wed 17-Jun-15 09:52:38

A waste of a good piece of meat.You need a tougher fattier cut really like shoulder. There is a Jamie Oliver recipe that sounds nice, I'll try to send a link.

ChilliAndMint Wed 17-Jun-15 09:55:47

youtu.be/B1dnYFpd09g

sebsmummy1 Wed 17-Jun-15 10:51:03

I probably wouldn't buy tenderloin again (unless it was reduced like the last lot). I thought the taste was almost gamey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now