Ok, Globe Artickokes

(5 Posts)
InstitutionCode Wed 10-Jun-15 09:21:04

I got three in my veg box this week.

I understand they're supposed to be a bit special but I have no idea what to do with them.

I can cook and love food, but have never experienced the globe artichoke, have no idea how to prepare, cook or eat them.

What an earth to I do with them?

Cantwaittogonholiday Wed 10-Jun-15 14:57:33

globe artichokes

TBH I've never found the big ones quite worth the preparation time and effort. They are lovely, but just not quite worth the effort.

I grow them, because they are striking plants, and nip off the globes when they are about ping pong ball size - and boil and eat them whole.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 10-Jun-15 15:05:25

No good advice from a cooking point of view, because to be honest I just grow mine as ornamental plants and leave the flowers for the insects to enjoy.

sleepyhead Wed 10-Jun-15 15:20:17

Mmmmmmm. I agree they're not exactly worth it (I treat myself to a jar of the prepared hearts now and again which is probably around 12 artichokes worth), but still delicious.

I would boil in water with lemon juice (as per the link) for 20-30 mins. To eat, peel off the leaves one by one and dip the tender end in melted butter and eat. You'll only get a cm or so that's edible per leaf - more as you get further in.

Once you get to the heart, you can scoop out the inedible choke (depends on how old it is how inedible this will be) and then scoff the rest of the heart.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Wed 10-Jun-15 15:25:37

It's so much faff to eat one you must be burning off more calories than you're taking in! Haven't had a whole globe artichoke for years. I do like them but have not missed them. The edible bit on the leaves I find needs to be scraped off with the teeth, rather than chewing the leaf and swallowing it. This will make more sense once you're doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now