Good meals to freeze for kids

(6 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Fri 05-Jun-15 21:10:45

I'm just starting back at work full time and DC are 5 and 3. They have a school/ nursery lunch but this is sometimes of the sandwiches/ soup/ pizza variety.

I don't get them home till about 5.30 and they're really ready for tea then bath and bed. Tonight I had portions of lasagne in the freezer from last weekend - defrosted during the day then 3 minutes to heat up and serve.

What else could I make and freeze that would be as easy and quick? They're fairly fussy, but getting less so with school and nursery dinners. DS (3) often refuses everything but crackers and a banana anyway. Lasagne was great because there wasn't even pasta to cook separately.

Thanks for all suggestions.

mildlymiffed Sat 06-Jun-15 13:54:05

Could you look at getting a slow cooker and doing stews/mild curries, then getting the Tilda instant rice packets or pre made mash? Things on toast are also an option- boiled eggs, beans A cold tea of ham, salad bits, homous? Make up batches of pasta sauces (Bolognese, creamy chicken), freeze and then buy fresh pasta, or with pre-made meatballs. Or the frozen jacket potatoes microwaved with tuna mayonnaise and sweetcorn (made night before).

LissieD Sat 06-Jun-15 15:04:44

Shepherds pie freeze quite well.

LittleMissRayofHope Sat 06-Jun-15 19:55:14

I do

Chicken & apricot curry
Bolognaise
Lasagna
Butternut squash and chicken risotto
Egg fried rice with shredded chicken
Or sometimes with fresh tuna - literally takes minutes to fry (I freeze it in portion sizes)
Pasta sauce (makes a massive batch and freeze in ice cube trays then bag up and just defrost however cubes you need)
Shepherds pie
Mini quiches (in a muffin tin)
Sweet potato chips
Fish pie
Chicken pie
Pizza - I make the dough and dd helps top and cook them (then freeze) then they just need a few mins to warm and crisp a little after defrosting.

I could go on for days as dd (2.10) is a fussy eater and likes variety!

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 06-Jun-15 20:19:14

Thanks, these are such great ideas. I do have a slow cooker - the DC are so fussy at the moment though, particularly the little one!

LittleMissRayofHope Sat 06-Jun-15 20:41:06

I also oven bake chicken breast and then either chop or shred and freeze in bags. Then I have ready cooked shredded chicken to stir through noodles or chuck into the pasta etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now