DD wont eat home cooked food

(8 Posts)
Pandora2387 Wed 03-Jun-15 01:37:05

I'm not entirely sure whether I should be concerned or not, but my DD is 23months and for the last few months all she's wanted to eat is processed frozen food. At first I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, and every week I would do a roast dinner, cooked from fresh, not frozen, and she would barely touch it, if I tried to help her eat it she would just spit it out. Ive tried her with different things like pasta and mash potates, and she will only ever eat anything thats not frozen and processed if I have some with her? She's my first child, so all this is new...will she grow out of this and do I have to just live it out, or is there anything I can do to speed up the process of her eating the fresh food that I cook?

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 03-Jun-15 02:30:17

If she'll eat home cooked food with you then can't you just eat with her?

Or, just stop offering the frozen/processed stuff, and she'll have to eat your cooked food eventually.

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 03-Jun-15 02:39:01

I agree with CultureSucks, eat with her (why wouldn't you anyway?), let her "steal" from your plate, and don't offer the processed crap. (Or not very often anyway, I do understand the appeal!)

AmIbeingTreasonable Wed 03-Jun-15 07:52:30

Children will not starve themselves, so she will eat your food eventually, as long as you stop giving her the crap stuff. Easy to say I know but it's true and the longer you feed her the crap the longer it will take before she accepts your food. She will eventually, when offered nothing else, probably with some tantrums to go with it. Don't give in, don't let her fill up on milk. Just keep offering the food, make no comment about whether she eats or not. Stay unemotional, it's just fuel. Offer as wide a variety as you can and keep calm!
She will possibly eat from your plate with more interest than a plate of her own. Finger foods, small bite size pieces of veg etc.

westcountrywoman Wed 03-Jun-15 07:56:32

At the risk of sounding harsh, she can only eat frozen processed food if you give it to her. Stop buying / cooking it, she won't starve. If she doesn't want to eat her dinner, don't make a big deal out of it but don't offer an alternative. If she's hungry, she'll eat. End of.
I would also suggest eating some meals with her. It's important to model good table manners etc and as you've already observed, she'll be more inclined to try new foods if she sees you eating them.

AlternativeTentacles Wed 03-Jun-15 07:58:35

23 months. So nearly 2 then?

prepperpig Wed 03-Jun-15 08:05:21

I'm afraid I agree with the others. She's 23 mnths not 23. She can't go out and buy her own food, she can only eat what you give her. Give her the decent food and she will eventually eat it. She's used to the salt and sugar and so of course she will want the processed food but she simply can't have it.

Wonkyparsnip Wed 03-Jun-15 08:07:01

Pandora I would say ride it out. My dd is about the same age and has had phases of food she won't eat but we just persevere and most of the time she grows out of it. Good luck! It's such a worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now