Salad recipes .... care to share your favourites?

(9 Posts)
MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 12:19:25

Please! I'm in a rut and would like some nice salads which I can have in the fridge for a few days to do lunches etc. i would love a nice coleslaw dressing .... more creamy than mayo. Also, rice, pasta, cous cous recipes ...
although I am hopeless at cooking couscous .... it always ends up stodgy! At the moment my repertoire is as simple as green and Greek and a nice warm new potato and bacon salad.

Anyone have any nice recipes to share please?

Thanks!

Moln Mon 01-Jun-15 12:30:21

How do you make your couscous?

my couscous salad it simple enough;

Cup of couscous, two cups of boiling water in a bowl. Cover and leavd for 10 mins

Chop in to cubes half cucumber (seeds removed), two tomatoes chopped small (seeds removed) or handful cherry tomatoes in quarter, two sping onions. Make up a french dressing (or any salad dressing you like)

Mix up couscous with fork and add ingredients, add the salad dressing to the quantity yoy like.

I don't always use the same ingrdients above but that's my usual, I sometimes add cubed feta too

iklboo Mon 01-Jun-15 12:34:49

We get bags of Mediterranean veg, peppers & onions from frozen food section (for speed & savings), cook it through with some seasoning & spice and add it to cous cous - sometimes with some chopped chicken. A good dollop of Greek yoghurt stirred through it is really nice - especially if you add mint.

MrsMcGregor Mon 01-Jun-15 16:55:19

Thanks both. Moin - have tried a couple of times using stock but probably too much liquid. Then tried bulgar wheat a while back and it was a disaster ... actually maybe that's because it wasn't seasoned enough with a nice dressing and bits and bobs!

Any more recipes pls ... Am doing my Tesco order grin

574ejones Mon 01-Jun-15 18:57:30

I love a Salade Nicoise (tuna, lettuce, green beans, olives, tomatoes, a boiled egg and vinaigrette). Makes a lovely lunch.

Another favourite is with leftover chicken, roast red peppers, cold new potatoes, olives, lettuce, with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey, with toasted seeds sprinkled on it.

Also Panzanella which uses leftover ciabatta, tomato, garlic, olives etc.

TyneTeas Mon 01-Jun-15 20:15:05

tonight we have had a simple salad - just mozzarella and feta with tomatoes and basil and new potatoes

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/feta-mozzarella-basil-and-tomato-salad.html

one of my favourites is salsa salad (with chillies, coriander, spring onions cucumber and tomatoes) with chicken and tortilla wraps

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/salsa-salad.html

this smoked mackerel and rice salad is tasty and quick

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/smoked-mackerel.html

this spicy prawn salad is pretty tasty too

www.tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/spicy-prawn-salad.html

ribbon salad looks very pretty and you can have it as spicy or not as you like

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/carrot-and-cucumber-ribbon-salad.html

and this recipe for chicken kebabs with peppers is a little bit salady

www.tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/chicken-kebabs.html

hope these help : )

NowhereNow Tue 02-Jun-15 00:41:56

For a very quick coleslaw I use Greek yoghurt (sometimes mixed with a spoon of mayonnaise) for the dressing with a finely chopped spring onion mixed in, then add carrot ribbons and finely sliced cabbage.

MrsMcGregor Wed 03-Jun-15 21:47:29

What super recipes ... thank you! TyneTeas, you have lovely recipes on your blog ... I shall be trying a few. Salad Nicoise is an idea but 574's chicken salad is making my mouth water. Nowherenow - thank you, that's just the sort of coleslaw dressing I was hoping for!

pregnantpause Thu 04-Jun-15 10:21:56

I made a tomato and feta salad recently that was beautiful

Serves 4

Thinly slice 1 kg mixed tomatoes
Thinly slice 1 red pepper and one yellow into rounds
Thinly slice 1 red onion
Thinly sliced cucumber
Cut 200g feta into four big chunks
Mint, basil, oregano, and parsley chopped

Put onions into a bowl of just boiled water to soften while you assemble

Wash feta in water, dry and coat with a little but of flour on each side ( I put flour on a plate and rolled the chunks in it then shook off)

Lay tomatoes and peppers on plates. Pour over a teaspoon of red wine vinegar to each plate, and the same of a good olive oil.

Salt and pepper

Top with peppers and cucumber, drained onions and herbs.

Fry feta in a bit of oil until golden brown on all sides

Put warm feta on salad and eat.

It sounds a bit plain but it was the nicest most memorable thing I've eaten in a long time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now