Ice Cream Recipe For IBS Suffer

(3 Posts)
kah22 Sun 31-May-15 14:48:53

My companion recently developed IBS and milk in particular seems to affect her. Anyway I’ve been looking around for a decent non-dairy ice cream; something suitable for someone trying to avoid dairy.

There are a few basic recipes I’ve come across, most of which seem to come from America as they use cups and spoons. Anyway here is one which seems to be pretty basic and variations of it keep popping up. I like to use grams when cooking, much more reliable that using volume, my conversions are in brackets:

Coconut Ice Cream

Ingredients
2 (13- to 15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk (800-900 grams)
1/2 cup agave, maple syrup, honey, turbinado sugar, or cane sugar (125 grams)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch, or 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (Custard powder or cornflour)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Optional extras: nuts, chocolate (or carob) chips, fruit puree, cacao nibs, etc.

The technique is simple enough: make a custard type base with the coconut milk, sugar, and either your custard powder or cornflour. I’d be inclined towards the custard powder. Let cool, overnight then churn in your ice cream machine or however you do your ice cream.

Note that the coconut milk refered to comes in a can, is that the same as the cartons of Alpro coconut milk I see in my local supermarket?

As I stated in my opening remarks I’d be making this for someone with IBS so if there are any IBS suffers out there who have a good ‘ice cream’ recipe I would be grateful for your advice and recipe.

Many thanks for any help given
Kevin

ishouldcocoa Sun 31-May-15 14:53:00

I think the Alpro stuff would not be suitable for the ice cream. I think you'll need the cans of coconut milk as per the recipe.

I'd be careful to cook it enough to get rid of the 'floury' taste before cooling and churning it, and be aware of adding nuts etc, as unless the mixture is very thick, they'll all fall to the bottom (speaks from experience!)

Happy cooking

winterwalks Sat 06-Jun-15 21:20:42

Look at Deliciously Ella banana ice cream recipe
Healthy and delicious.
Here book is good for wheat and dairy free
deliciouslyella.com/banana-ice-cream-vegan-sugar-free-dairy-free/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now