Vegan 'treats'

(15 Posts)
18yearstooold Sun 08-Mar-15 14:31:05

Dd has been vegan for a couple of months and probably has a better diet now than when she ate meat -massive vegetable dodger!

But she's missing her desserts and cakes

Any good recipes?

I've tried adapting existing recipes but I've found if a recipe has eggs, it has them for a reason!

figgypuddings Sun 08-Mar-15 14:33:01

Try substituting apple sauce for eggs, I think 1/2 a jar equates to two eggs.

Koalafications Sun 08-Mar-15 14:36:20

You can vegan chocolate. Swedish glaze is vegan ice cream.

There's a lovely vegan banana bread recipe on the BBC website.

There's loads of vegan treats and desserts around.

Enormouse Sun 08-Mar-15 14:45:08

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6036/vegan-brownies.aspx
I'm not vegan, allergic to eggs though, and I make these a lot. Very easy, quick and delicious.

Make some raw energy balls.

Nuts, dates, almond butter, cacao powder, coconut oil, some essence of orange if you like. Whizz it all in a blender, roll into balls and keep in the fridge or freezer.

Nut butter cups: melt coconut oil and stir in some cacao powder and maple syrup. Put in mini muffin cases. Freeze for an hour. Add a little almond butter to the frozen chocolates, then drizzle any of the remaining chocolate/coconut/syrup mix over the top. Freeze again to set. Keep in the fridge. Yum.

Look at Deliciouslyella.com, lots of mainly vegan treats on her blog. She does use honey though. But then you could always replace honey with a syrup.

AmericasTorturedBrow Sun 08-Mar-15 15:05:54

Ground flaxseed is a great egg substitute as well

DS and I make delicious avocado chocolate cookies - will have to dig out the recipe

MoustacheofRonSwanson Sun 08-Mar-15 20:49:25

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/05/rose-and-cardamom-rice-pudding-dairy-free-recipe

I make it with vanilla ric emilk not coconut milk, and add a bit more coconut oil.

Coyo yoghurts and ice cream are good treats made from coconut milk.

This is a nice cheesecake

These biscuits are lovely, you can really taste the banana. Sometimes I omit the nuts but dip in dark chocolate instead.

A good caramel recipe expands your choices a lot- it can be a sauce, added to biscuits, put in or on cakes.
This is a nice recipe for vegan caramels, I use coconut oil not vegan butter. You can also make dulce de leche

Those bean chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/ brownies that did the rounds a while back are pretty good, especialy if you swirl nut butter and/or caramel through them

Onykahonie Sun 08-Mar-15 21:44:09

How about some vegan Hobnbs or cornflake cakes?

mrbob Sun 07-Jun-15 10:23:06

Chocolate covered katie is a fab website for "healthy versions" of cakes and many are vegan...

TyneTeas Sun 07-Jun-15 12:03:23

I'm not vegan, but this is a really nice ginger cake

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/25411/vegan-gingerbread.aspx?

(I don't have self raising flour, just add half a teaspoon of baking powder per 2 oz/50g plain)

for the apple puree, a couple of chopped up eating apples simmered in a couple of tablespoons of water and mushed up with a fork seems to work)

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 11-Jun-15 20:42:16

Following with interest smile

987flowers Thu 11-Jun-15 21:00:17

Not overly exciting but when I had to be dairy free (breast feeding my intolerant child) I found some chocolate covered rice cakes which I think would be vegan. Just gave a nice sweet taste at the end of a meal.

ppeatfruit Fri 12-Jun-15 14:07:25

18years Although you say eggs are nec. I always cook brownies and gingerbread without eggs or and dairy and even my dh loves them. But I use almond butter and molasses and or maple syrup because it stops the cakes going into crumbs . You have to leave them in the tin till cold before you cut them up. If you want the recipe just ask me!

sashh Sat 13-Jun-15 10:59:49

Flapjacks can be vegan. How about getting a sheet of puff pastry, sprincle with sugar and maybe a bit of dried ginger, cut in strips and bake for 10 mins, a bit like cheese straws but sweet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now