What shall I do with slightly off milk?

(17 Posts)
CharlotteCollins Tue 26-Aug-14 11:09:13

I've already made a double batch of scones and I've still got a bit left!

Can I cook with it - I'm thinking macaroni cheese - or will it curdle?

BlueBrightBlue Tue 26-Aug-14 11:19:44

Chuck it on the compost heap, it will get it cooking away. Don't eat it, not worth it for the sake of a few pennies and your dinner will taste rank.

Pastperfect Tue 26-Aug-14 11:20:28

Tip it down the sink confused

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 26-Aug-14 11:21:39

Make soft cheese with some lemon juice and a little salt once you have strained the whey off. When can be frozen and put into cakes.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 26-Aug-14 11:21:54

I'd put it on the compost heap too.

Bin it.

I cannot fathom why on earth you'd do anything else with off milk confused.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 26-Aug-14 11:26:28

I often buy milk in the reduced section just to make cheese.

SoonToBeSix Tue 26-Aug-14 11:30:36

Seriously milk is pennies, chuck it away.

Chennai Tue 26-Aug-14 11:33:28

Chuck it out!

CharlotteCollins Tue 26-Aug-14 12:23:55

Wow, cheese is a great idea, if a bit scary-sounding! I'm not sure my culinary skills are up to that.

It looks fine, it smells ok, it's just two days over its BB date.

doradoo Tue 26-Aug-14 12:26:54

If it looks and smells fine then just use it to cook with - mac'n'cheese will be fine.

If it smells off and looks lumpy then chuck it - compost/sink/bin.

Chennai Tue 26-Aug-14 12:27:13

If it looks, smells and tastes fine, I'd probably carry on using it as normal tbh. When you said it was slightly off, I thought you meant it was actually on the turn.

MirandaWest Tue 26-Aug-14 12:29:31

If it is fine then use it normally - I use milk up until a few days past its use by date or later if it smells ok.

If it's actually gone off then I they're it away. In your case I would just keep using it.

Shallishanti Tue 26-Aug-14 12:31:25

'gone off milk'=nearly cheese/yoghurt
will not do any harm, just not nice in tea!

CharlotteCollins Tue 26-Aug-14 13:43:53

Thanks all, I made the mac'n'cheese and it was delicious. I can't believe it was still ok, really - I opened it before going away for a week, so it's been open for 8 days. Amazing!

CharlotteCollins Wed 27-Aug-14 10:01:05

Just found this quote:

ScienceDaily (May 13, 2012) — Milk poured down Britain's kitchen sinks each year creates a carbon footprint equivalent to thousands of car exhaust emissions, research shows. Scientists say the 360,000 tonnes of milk wasted in the UK each year creates greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 100,000 tonnes of CO2

...on another forum, in a thread discussing filtered milk and how much longer it lasts without going sour. Never heard of it before. Maybe I unwittingly bought it!

PolterGoose Wed 27-Aug-14 11:49:02

I use milk until it 'turns' whatever the date says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now