I am the owner of a slow cooker... Will it fester in the cupboard?

(468 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 12:31:54

Mum has just bought me a slow cooker. I have never asked for one or even mentioned them but now I have one.

Will it just fester away in the cupboard or will I fall in love with it?

There is only me and a 4 year old that live here. He stays out 2-3 nights a week and I go out to volunteer and my course when he is away.

So what do you all suggest? I will give it a go but won't make any promises grin

Don't put it in the cupboard! Kiss of death. Try a few simple recipes straight away - there's LOADS online if you have a search around. It's lovely to come home to a cooked meal just waiting for you, and the house will smell great.

If you don't love it then give it to someone who needs it, don't hide it in the cupboard smile

Shia Sun 17-Aug-14 12:38:08

I have a brand new one in a box that I cannot give away! I know no one that wants one.

We have no use for one whatsoever.

I am going to donate mine to my works charity raffle at Christmas.

Mumof3xox Sun 17-Aug-14 12:38:18

I threw mine away

It went a bit rusty on the outside and looked nasty

PinkSquash Sun 17-Aug-14 12:38:44

I have my gammon in mine right now, have a search on Fb for Slow Cooked Wonders, it's amazing what you can do in one.

How big is it?

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 12:39:35

Erm... It looks small

AlpacaYourThings Sun 17-Aug-14 12:39:51

I used it a lot at first. Don't think I've used it in at least 3 years.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 17-Aug-14 12:41:20

<settling in for a good read of ideas>

I've owned one for many years and not really made use of it. It's a fab idea though, why don't I use it? confused

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 17-Aug-14 12:41:36

No keep it. They are fab!

Join the face book site and google recipes

Joints of lamb come out lovely. As does chilli and spag bol.

You need to find size out though

I love mine, its perfect for if you are out all day and want dinner when you get in. I haven't used it so much in the summer, but probably will do as it gets colder.
There are some Facebook groups with recipes -slow cooker wonders I think I am on.
I have cooked most basic things in it, spag bol, chilli, stew, curry etc.

PinkSquash Sun 17-Aug-14 12:43:43

grin its good for batch cooking so you cook once and saves you the faff. It makes huge cakes too.. or its a lovely vase for some water lilies

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 12:43:57

It's says 3.5L

QueenOfThorns Sun 17-Aug-14 12:44:26

Definitely have a go before you write it off. I particularly love ours in the winter, it's nice having a hot stew or something waiting for you at the end of the day!

Perhaps give this nice chicken recipe a try?

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 12:44:28

Cakes you say? I can make cakes in it?!

oh some one already mentioned slow cooked wonders. There are people on there who make cakes in theirs. [impressed]

EatShitDerek Sun 17-Aug-14 12:48:23

Do they use a lot of electric? I'm on a meter so don't want to be paying £10 every time I use it grin

No, apparently they use a lot less than a standard oven.

Kimaroo Sun 17-Aug-14 12:51:27

I'm always raving about FB Slow Cooked Wonders. Currently fudge is the favourite dish on there. Some people make bread in theirs. A whole chicken on a bed of veg is also a firm favourite. A few weeks ago people were cooking a full English breakfast overnight. With mixed results I hasten to add. grin There's a whole new world of cooking out there, don't be too hasty in getting rid!

PinkSquash Sun 17-Aug-14 12:52:05

I made a huge chocolate and banana loaf cake in mine. It lasted ages but froze well. Rice pudding (with clotted cream obvs) is lush made in the SC too.

PinkSquash Sun 17-Aug-14 12:52:50

My slow cooker is very energy efficient, saves putting the oven on for something

Oh, and don't take the lid off while cooking, that's supposed to be really bad. Also don't add that much liquid, slow cookers seem to double the liquid of everything.

Kimaroo Sun 17-Aug-14 12:54:18

...and less washing up.

loudarts Sun 17-Aug-14 12:54:36

I love my slow cooker, if we are having a joint of beef it comes out lovely and tender as opposed to chewy from being in the oven. Also handy if dh is working late i can make dinner for all of us and leave his on low till he comes in. I've had mine for 3 years and it gets used a couple of times a week minimum. The halogen oven on the over hand doesn't come out of the cupboard.

I have seen the full English over night, not tired it though. I haven't been on there so much recently. It was ham in come and butter chicken last year.

lk26 Sun 17-Aug-14 12:56:36

Shoulder of pork (£4 ish ) bottle of BBQ sauce poured over. 6-8 hrs slow cooking = shredded pork. Easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now