need lunch box food for me that's not sandwiches!

(15 Posts)
Sunnyshine Tue 29-Jul-14 19:47:17

New job so need to take lunch everyday. Am not a fan of bread products ( so no wraps, bread etc) but love salad, beans, pasta etc. So tell me your yummiest cold recipes!!

Orzo pasta with either chicken or tuna, sweetcorn and chopped up cucumber and a bit of mayo, yum

dancemom Tue 29-Jul-14 19:50:39

Tuna pasta salad

Cheese and crackers

Boiled eggs and salad

lljkk Tue 29-Jul-14 19:53:31

hummous, i just eat it with a spoon. Can add something like carrot sticks & tomatoes, too.

RoobyMurray Tue 29-Jul-14 19:54:03

tuna mayo mixed with a little grated cheese + salad

chicken and chorizo + salad with cesar salad dressing

greek type salad - ie feta, red onion, cucumber, toms and leaves

ham and egg salad

NotAnotherPackedLunchBox Tue 29-Jul-14 19:55:23

Falafel and salad

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 29-Jul-14 19:55:43

Home made quiche
Soup in a thermos
Lettuce, tomato etc with smoked mackerel

I'm not a fan of bread either, but I love Warburtons Square Thins.

CMOTDibbler Tue 29-Jul-14 20:01:02

rice with sweet chilli chicken (the sort that comes ready cooked and sliced) and avocado
pasta with hummus
pasta with chicken and sweetcorn
rice with mixed veg (frozen - sweetcorn, peas, carrots, pepper), spring onions and french dressing. Add peanuts on eating
sushi rice with sweet chilli chicken and seaweed bits, or prawns
rice, mixed beans, tuna, onion, french dressing

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Tue 29-Jul-14 20:07:14

Puy lentil pouch with added olives, chopped cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, thawed frozen spinach or other veggies; with added chopped cheese or meat or fish. One pouch with enough add ins does 2 days. I usually add a spoonful of chutney to one and something herby to the other.

Wholemeal whole couscous, similar to above.

Egg with salad, or I prefer to make an omelette with herbs, cooked potato, onions and cheese and eat that cold.

A large fruit salad.

Im going to experiment with chick pea, egg, a little wholemeal flour or cooked whole grains, beans, etc, all mixed up and made into dumplinfs, rolled in sesame/nuts/herbs/spice and baked. Could go well with a green salad.

Soup in a flask.

Layer salad with grated carrots, shredded lettuce and herbs, cheese or prawns, tomato or beetroot, etc. Whatever sandwich/wrap filling you fancy can be cut up and put in a layered salad!

Happy36 Tue 29-Jul-14 20:11:41

I like tuna, chunks of cucumber and slices of pickled beetroot. Everything turns pink but it's delicious!

Also a can of beans like cannellini beans, drained and washed, tossed in olive oil (and dried herbs, paprika or chilli powder if you wish) on top of a salad of lettuce and red pepper (and chopped onion, if you like it) is tasty too and low in cholesterol.

A cold soup like vichyssoise or gazpacho or cucumber. Yum!

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Tue 29-Jul-14 20:12:15

Oh,

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Tue 29-Jul-14 20:12:25

-

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Tue 29-Jul-14 20:23:49

Just reminded me.
Beetroot with goat's cheese, grapes and pine nuts is a great combination.

Feta works well with tomatoes and basil and olives without bread (or just a few crutons of pumpernickle or a chewy wholemeal).

Happy36 Tue 29-Jul-14 20:25:10

Congratulations on your new job.

Sunnyshine Wed 30-Jul-14 09:36:36

Thank you all! These sound great! Will get myself a lunch box and start making!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now