Food for a ten hour plus journey (mostly car). All suggestions welcome!!!

(11 Posts)
Moln Thu 10-Jul-14 17:23:11

It'll be breakfast and lunch as we should (hopefully) be getting to our destination at 6 pm ish!!

I've a giant cool bag and a dislike of eating at service stations (and ferry food), with a 7 and 10 year old who aren't particularly fussy eaters.

I don't really want sandwiches for the day, but when it comes to cool bag good I can't think beyond sandwiches!! Help me please!!

Scarletohello Thu 10-Jul-14 17:28:34

Pasta or rice salad
Avocados
Hummus with carrots and breadsticks
Falafels
Fruit
Pork pies
Rice cakes with peanut butter.
Nuts

That's all I can think of for now!

MissBattleaxe Thu 10-Jul-14 17:29:08

I get so bored of sandwiches and stodge on long journeys too.

I like a French stick and some hoummos and the kids like dips, bread sticks and cold meat. Take bananas, cereal bars and lots of juice as travelling is very dehydrating.

Add carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and cold sausages.

HenI5 Thu 10-Jul-14 17:31:52

Split some large croissants and add thin slices of cheese and/or ham. Easy to eat and filling too.

aturtlenamedmack Thu 10-Jul-14 17:33:42

Cold pizza or even cold lasagne that can be cut into slices (sounds a bit weird but is delish).
Also fritatta with chorizo that can be sliced.
Popcorn, rice cakes, cereal bars, flapjack and the like for snacking.

LegoCaltrops Thu 10-Jul-14 17:33:59

Cold meat or sausage cut up, pasta, some salad or suitable veg, some kind of dressing that goes with the above - pasta salad.

Decant a big tin of tinned and/or some cut up fresh fruit into individual sized plastic screw top containers. Fruit salad.

Hummus & things to dip in it.

LegoCaltrops Thu 10-Jul-14 17:35:51

And, boiled eggs. Shelled at home, of course.

Scarletohello Thu 10-Jul-14 17:36:08

Breakfast thoughts, boiled eggs, bananas, yoghurts?

Moln Thu 10-Jul-14 17:52:52

Great ideas so far thanks - should be obvious really but I just seem to get caught in a rut in my thinking!!!!

CheeryName Thu 10-Jul-14 17:58:41

Our most successful Tea in the Car ideas:

Supernoodles in a flask with a fork.
Disgusting but moreish chicken Fridge Raider things
Malt loaf

Quiche. Mixed salads in Chinese takeaway containers (one each).containers will be useful on holiday too. I've also put individual portions of cereal in takeaway containers and taken a pint of milk before now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now