Tinned mackerel recipes please?

(10 Posts)

DD (2) insisted on a tin of mackerel in the shops today, apparently we are having it for tea. Meal ideas please? It's just for me and her.

Clutterbugsmum Fri 04-Jul-14 14:35:29

Takeaway would be my suggestion grin.

Smooshed on toast.

Or add it to a psata sauce.

Blitz it to a pate for crackers.

PeanutPatty Fri 04-Jul-14 14:40:02

If it's in tomato sauce or sunflower oil give it to your dog(s).

Arf at the mackerel loathing!

It's in oil, the tomato sauce stuff is vile. I am tempted to try a pate another day for me, I know she wouldn't touch it. In pasta sauce may be the way to go.

To be fair last time I just opened the tin and forked it straight into her mouth so it's possible I'm overthinking and cooking efforts are unnecessary!

KneeQuestion Fri 04-Jul-14 14:44:00

I love tinned mackerel. Only the one in brine, not the tomato sauce one [gag]

I usually coat it in a marinade of lemon juice, olive oil and some peri peri, or cajun dry spice mix, then grill it. Serve with a nice mixed salad [leafy stuff, cherry toms, sweetcorn, peppers spring onion] maybe some new potatos too.

LoblollyBoy Fri 04-Jul-14 14:44:45

For a toast topping, I might mash with cream cheese. Or at least, that's what I do with sardines. If it was a smoked mackerel, I'd make a sort of hot salad with new potatoes and other things (pickly things - gerkins, capers, olives; green veg things - green beans or broccoli or something) all dressed with a french dressing. So I might try that.

KneeQuestion Fri 04-Jul-14 14:45:18

Ah, it's in oil, in that case I would skip the olive oil part and just use lemon juice and the dry spice.

In case anyone's interested I did a make-it-up-as-you-go-along spaghetti dish.

Fried gently some sliced onions and sliced garlic with a crushed dried chilli. Added strips of pepper and some french beans and some sliced courgette and when almost cooked tipped in the mackerel and a fistful of mangetout. Added a load of chopped fresh parsley. When the fish is warmed through I added hot spaghetti and tossed it all together along with a squeeze of lemon juice (ok from a bottle!) and some salt and pepper and serve.

DD is somewhat unadventurous so had her fish straight out the tin along with some broccoli and plain spaghetti with cheese on.

Mine was great though! And helpfully used up the small amounts of beans/courgette & mangetout that are coming from the veg patch - it's never enough for an actual helping, more just a smattering of this and that in every meal.

Thanks for ideas - will try grilling it another time, that would never have occured to me!

Sounds delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now