corned silverside??

(13 Posts)
pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 20:14:31

Calling any fellow antipodians, does anyone know how to cook corned silverside over here in the uk? Is there a particular cut of meat to buy?

GrouchyKiwi Wed 25-Jun-14 20:42:25

Do you mean from scratch, or just the cooking of the corned silverside?

If it's the former I've no idea. Apparently some butchers can/will make the corned beef for you to cook but I've never tried asking one. Hopefully someone does know how to corn your own cut of beef because I want to find out too!

If it's the latter then this recipe looks pretty good.

pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 21:20:17

From what I remember it needs to be actual corned silverside before cooking. Its salty? Cooked/boiled in a pressure cooker?

GrouchyKiwi Wed 25-Jun-14 21:25:00

Yes, it does. So if you can find a corned silverside then the recipe I linked to looks delicious for cooking it.

And mustard sauce! <drooling>

pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 21:29:52

Oh yes mustard sauce. I have my Edmonds cookbook ready to go, if only I could find the silverside!

GrouchyKiwi Wed 25-Jun-14 21:34:00

You could try your local butcher? I've asked before whether they have hogget (craving Colonial Goose) or mutton but very few places sell either of those these days.

I'm going to ask about corned silverside tomorrow!

pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 21:35:49

Me too. Will report back.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Wed 25-Jun-14 21:37:55

Oh I want some too now. Dm used to do it. White sauce for us. Drool.

pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 21:44:34

Just thinking it is such a family friendly cut of meat, lasts for ages. Yum.

Longdistance Wed 25-Jun-14 21:44:47

When I lived in Oz, I'm sure I boiled it like a ham in a similar stock. It was delicious when we sliced it, and I don't really like beef confused

GrouchyKiwi Wed 25-Jun-14 21:46:39

It doesn't really taste like beef, I think. It just tastes of deliciousness and happiness.

pixiegumboot Wed 25-Jun-14 21:50:06

Its so light, and sweet, and delicious!!!

nowahousewife Wed 25-Jun-14 21:57:44

I've lived here for 25 years and never seen it or been able it get it. That said I'm not a big fan of it so probably didn't try too hard.

You'll also struggle to find hoggett or mutton, have to make friends with you local butcher and be prepared for it to be expensive! Seems counter-intuitive for a cut of meat that in NZ is considered inferior.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now