Who wants to make this?!

(14 Posts)
Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:23:56

Raspberry Mousse.

1 tin of raspberries in syrup.
6 oz cottage cheese.
1 teaspoon vanilla essence.

cottage cheese?!?!?

Drain the syrup from the raspberries into a measuring jug, reserving 3 fl oz.

In a mixing bowl place the cottage cheese and raspberries and puree until well mixed. Add the reserved syrup and vanilla and whip until it is the consistency of softene3d ice cream. Place into dishes and serve.

JennyOnTheBlocks Sun 22-Jun-14 11:25:46

Hello again grin

Is that from a grim diet cook book the '70s?

Itsfab Sun 22-Jun-14 11:32:24

HI grin

I was a bit short I think on the other thread, apologies. I am frustrated as I am doing so many things at once and the time is running away with me.

It is from the Domestic Goddess Series of Budget Meals.

It has a feel of war time...

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 23-Jun-14 15:02:02

Did you make this and then throw it in the bin ?

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 23-Jun-14 15:03:36

Oh god no way. Yuck

I made it a few years ago. It was unspeakably vile, unsurprisingly.

PeterParkerSays Mon 23-Jun-14 15:06:54

So you have to add the reserved syrup to mask the flavour of the cottage cheese? Not sure I'm desperate enough to try that one.

Itsfab Mon 23-Jun-14 18:52:46

Nope, never made it and never will.

I cook a lot and try many things, as well as inventing some but I would not make this.

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 23-Jun-14 19:47:35

Glad to hear it, any other gems from that book grin

Itsfab Mon 23-Jun-14 20:17:32

Strawberry Whip.

1 tin of strawberries in syrup
1 envelope of plain gelatine
1 tin of evaporated milk

Drain the syrup from the strawberries into a microwavable jug and sprinkle the gelatine over it. Allow to soften for five minutes then stir well until dissolved and heat on high in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. Allow to stand for 1 minute then remove and stir well. Top up the liquid with the evaporated milk up to one pint.
In a mixing bowl, puree the strawberries and pour the gelatine liquid over and whip until frothy and well mixed. Using a soup ladle, ladle into a dessert bowl and place in the bottom of the fridge at the back for one hour.

Enjoy grin.

Itsfab Mon 23-Jun-14 20:28:53

Banana Split Dessert Pizza.
7UP Cake.
Banana Rhubarb Fool.
Pork a l'orange.
Cheese and salami pie.

It states you should buy value whenever possible as "no harm to be had!" but I would question the quality of some value food stuffs.

JennyOnTheBlocks Mon 23-Jun-14 20:59:38

Cheese and salami pie <scrapes tongue>

I remember something very similar to the strawberry pudding being served at school a millionty years ago it was icky back then and sure it would be now

I think I need this book, I'm a member of a cookery group on fb and we're always looking for new ideas and challenges, did you buy the book recently?

The strawberry whip sounds like angel delight. The value stuff is only about 20p though so unsure why you would do your own.

I think i remember this book from a few years ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the author might have been a member here.

Itsfab Tue 24-Jun-14 13:16:29

It was a few years ago I downloaded it and yes, I think via a member.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now