So, I need to slow cook a whole chicken.

(23 Posts)
fuzzpig Tue 17-Jun-14 20:26:44

Oven busted. <cries>

Have a whole chicken in the freezer that needs using up.

We have a large slow cooker that I've used once, yes ONCE but have no idea how to do this!

All suggestions welcomed (yes I can google it too but much prefer the "ask MN" method grin)

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Jun-14 20:32:09

Put chicken in slow cooker.
Turn slow cooker on.
Leave for several hours.
Take out and eat.
Delicious!!

fuzzpig Tue 17-Jun-14 20:38:31

No liquid or anything?!

Aren't I supposed to shove a lemon in it or something grin

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 17-Jun-14 20:38:41

Cut 2 strips of tin foil and put them crossed underneath the chicken to act like a chicken hammock as it will fall apart when you try to take it out.
4 hrs high or
7 hrs low
Yum

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 17-Jun-14 20:39:17

No liquid, it will create its own stock.

gamerchick Tue 17-Jun-14 20:40:59

It's not good for your slow cooker to have no liquid at all.. A tiny bit in the bottom will do.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 17-Jun-14 20:41:30

Definitely no liquid.
Stick something in it if you want!

It will be lovely and moist.

Yum.

OpiesOldLady Tue 17-Jun-14 20:41:36

As the previous posters have said. And now go onto FB and join a group called Slow Cooked Wonders and prepare to be mind blown at what you can actually cook in your slowcooker!

fuzzpig Tue 17-Jun-14 20:41:49

Arf at 'chicken hammock'

fuzzpig Tue 17-Jun-14 20:42:29

Now I'm hungry (not because of the hammock thing I hasten to add)

spanky2 Tue 17-Jun-14 20:45:12

I put a squeeze of lemon juice over it and stick the squeezed lemon up it's inside. About an inch of water and salt and white pepper on top. Cook it for 5-6 hours. I am not sure of the minimum time as I put it on in the morning before going out for the day. It is amazingly moist and tender.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 17-Jun-14 20:46:16

Slow cooker wonders is a brilliant. You will be making giant cookies and all sorts in no time.

ZenNudist Tue 17-Jun-14 20:46:16

Our oven is busted too.

<digs out slow cooker>

Thanks for the tip!

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 17-Jun-14 20:53:07

Add chopped veg, any kind, put in chicken, add herbs, salt and pepper over it, cook for about 8hrs on low (but it depends on the slow cooker brand).

No liquid. As others have said, it makes it's own stock as juices come out of the meat and veg.

I have two slow cookers and use them constantly - I very rarely add liquid, except sometimes coconut milk if I'm doing a curry.

MuddlePuddle Tue 17-Jun-14 21:08:42

I never put any liquid in either. I usually put the chicken in breast side down to make sure the thicker breast part gets cooked all the way through.

sashh Thu 19-Jun-14 06:30:41

lift lid, put in chicken (defrosted) put lid back on, switch on and wait.

You can put a lemon/orange in it, you can sprinkle mixed dried herbs on it, you can put it on a base of onions/cabbage/whatever but you don't need to.

ProfYaffle Thu 19-Jun-14 06:49:56

As others have said you don't need to put liquid in but you can poach it if you want to. This makes the skin pretty much inedible but the meat is very tender and you make stock while it cooks too (essential if it's to become a magic chicken wink) I just put a kettle full of hot water over it and chuck in some bay leaves, peppercorns and dried mushrooms.

deepbluetr Thu 19-Jun-14 06:55:28

Do you take the skin off? A whole chicken contains an awful lot of fat. I know if I roast a chicken in the oven I have to drain off a lot of fat before O get to the cooking juices. What happens to the fat in the slow cooker?

ProfYaffle Thu 19-Jun-14 06:58:18

It runs off, exactly the same as in the oven.

deepbluetr Thu 19-Jun-14 06:58:58

So you pour it away before serving the chicken?

kinkymouse Thu 19-Jun-14 07:03:38

I usually sit in on some chunky carrots and onions so it doesn't sit in the fat. But other than that yes bung it in it will be delicious.

ProfYaffle Thu 19-Jun-14 07:03:59

You lift the chicken out of the cooker and leave the fat behind. The stock I make goes in the fridge and the fat rises to the top and solidifies where it can be picked off and put in the bin.

Clutterbugsmum Thu 19-Jun-14 07:29:05

I just put the stock in a jug/bowl and once cooled put in the fridge then take the layer of fat off and use the stock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now