Anyone have a good Quorn SpagBol recipe please?

(11 Posts)
Pullingteeth Sun 15-Jun-14 21:52:34

Been eating Quorn for years but whenever I attempt spaghetti bologneise with the mince, it just tastes like tinned tomatoes.

I've tried making my own and used ready made sauces. Must be the lack of juices and flavour you get with real mince.

Do I need to add stock or something?

KnockMeDown Sun 15-Jun-14 21:58:09

Hi Pulling - I add a Knorr Rich Beef stock thingy, and also fry the Quorn with diced onion. I also add some sundired tomato paste.

Theincidental Sun 15-Jun-14 22:03:14

Onion, garlic, pinch of cayenne, chilli flakes, pepper - sweat the onions for ten mins on a gentle heat and then add the quorn mince with a little oil or chilli oil. Leave to fry off a little, then add mushrooms and any othe finely chopped veg. Fry gently for a little while til veggies are cooked.

Finally chuck in a can of tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, seasoning and a apeinkle of sugar, poss a little red wine as well. Leave on a low heat until it's all cooked and then serve.

The trick with quorn is to get the flavour in early otherwise it just tastes of soggy cardboard.

BiscuitMillionaire Sun 15-Jun-14 22:08:00

Here's mine, we all like it:

Make tomato sauce: put tin of good quality whole tinned toms in pan, half fill the tin with water and tip that in too. Add a good slug of olive oil, and plenty of salt (draws the sweetness out). Bring to boil then simmer gently for at least half an hour, the longer the better. It reduces down and becomes more intense. Mash up the tomato with potato masher or fork.

Chop and fry some onion. Add the quorn mince and the tomato sauce. Add a teaspoon of Marmite and stir in. Optional: finely chop a carrot and add to sauce (I usually microwave the carrot first for 2 mins). Simmer for about 15 mins.

Cook your spaghetti, add sauce, cheese on top. Voila!

tabulahrasa Sun 15-Jun-14 22:08:59

Onion, garlic, splash of Worcester sauce, veg stock cube, teaspoon of marmite (I hate the stuff but it adds flavour to quorn really well) and mince and tomatoes.

Marmite definitely good. Also Worcestershire sauce.

nilbyname Sun 15-Jun-14 22:17:10

I add a spoonful of green pesto to mine, oregano and quite a bit of salt.

Sweat off carrot, onion, celery in olive oil and butter. Add in a good slosh of port or a table spoon of balsamic, add quorn. Add pesto, tom purée, 1clove of mashed garlic per person. Simmer for 30 mins minimum.

Serve with crumbled feta and parsley with linguine.

Pullingteeth Sun 15-Jun-14 22:19:53

Thanks everyone that's great,will be trying these. I'm not the best of cooks and really been struggling as DD won't eat beef mince as she says it's chewy. Suits me as I can get Quorn in Aldi and I don't mind it myself.

TwoLeftSocks Sun 15-Jun-14 22:22:53

I pop in sun dried tomatoes and a large glug splash of red wine for flavour but like BiscuitMillionaire's way of cooking it.

It just goes soggy if you cook it for too long or with too much liquid. Keeps it's texture better with a shortish cooking time.

tethersend Sun 15-Jun-14 22:25:34

Fry onion, add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and quorn. Fry for a few minutes then add some tomato puree and a good glug of red wine.

Once the wine is absorbed by the quorn, add some passata, torn basil leaves, salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Cook down for about 20 mins.

Stir through penne, put into oven dish, cover with grated cheese and bake for 15 mins until the cheese bubbles and browns.

Pullingteeth Sun 15-Jun-14 22:27:36

I say I've tried making sauces but it's mainly been dolmio type jars blush so you can imagine it was pretty tangy/sweet.

I did follow an online recipe a couple if times but it seemed to be just adding veg stock, all your recipes sound loads more appetising and creative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now