Food for Baby Shower

(29 Posts)
GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 18:44:14

Please, can anyone suggest what to serve at a baby shower? And now to do one.

My new DIL is really wanting to have a baby shower and it would appear that if I don't plan it no-one else will. Its just not the kind of thing we go in for. Anyway we were having an afternoon tea for her this week so Ive decided to do a shower instead - but how do I? Just what is a baby shower, what do I do and what do I serve? I love cooking and entertaining so am not worried about the work involved.

This is our 5th grandchild and Im really keen that she gets what she wants rather than what we normally do a few weeks before the baby arrives.

Thank You

ShatnersBassoon Sat 14-Jun-14 18:49:23

What is it that you normally do a few weeks before babies are due?

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 19:56:24

Have a tea party at home with traditional tea things but Ive seen pictures of baby related food, and I'm told games are played, but I have no idea how to put it together.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:00:10

Oh and we do presents that are special to the family, things like a baby quilt made by one of my daughters. Intimate family gifts. Its a family get together.

Im needing to jazz it up a bit to take account of my DIL being very young and into different things.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 14-Jun-14 20:01:33

Perhaps you're not the right person to organise it. Have you been asked to?

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:03:24

No, but its something I would like to do to make her happy.

She would like a baby shower and if I can make it possible I will.

SunnyRandall Sat 14-Jun-14 20:12:05

I've never had baby related food at a baby shower, just normal buffet stuff. All the guests have brought something to contribute (all surprise showers).

For games we have done "guess who" from guests baby pics and a celeb version of the same. Nothing complicated. Also a baby fact quiz. No prizes though!

Your traditional family do and the presents sound absolutely lovely imo.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:15:07

But you know, something tells me that you're not actually asking questions in order to try and help. But thank you anyway.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 14-Jun-14 20:18:25

I'm American so I have been to many and hosted a couple. When I had one for my niece, we did it late afternoon and had elegant snack type food including tea sandwiches. We served punch and iced tea. A cake is traditional with a baby theme. I don't like the games much. The only one we did was to ask each guest to bring a picture of themselves as a baby and then we guessed who was who.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 14-Jun-14 20:18:46

I was actually. I was trying to work out if you wanted to do something out of your comfort zone or felt obliged.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:20:36

Thank you Sunny, I saw a picture on FB of one her friend had and there were mini chocolate shaped baby bottles and rattles, stuff like that. There's no time to make it or buy it in and I couldn't anyway because of where we live, so I think I will go with the kind of tea I'd normally serve and just get balloons and do a few games. I'll do a blue theme because its really original smile, and thanks for telling me about the games.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:22:23

My apologies Shatner, I obviously got it very wrong.

I dont feel obliged, I really want to do it for her. I love any excuse for a 'bit of a do'.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:23:55

Thank you Scone. The cake I can do and the baby photos also sound great.

Id heard of things done with peanut butter in a nappy and was kind of keeping my fingers crossed it wasn't the most favourite baby shower game in the world.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:29:15

Shatner, our usual family kind of 'do' would be held from around 4 and involve all of the children and their families, two very close aunties who are considered 'the family grannies', and about 8 cousins who are part of our close gang. In all there will be about 35, plus some of her friends.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:32:51

Shatner, I feel really bad for reading your posts the wrong way - my apologies once again.

SunnyRandall Sat 14-Jun-14 20:33:26

Baby shower balloons and bunting are easy to get from Amazon or ebay if you have time. The baby photo game is a nice one to do.

You sound very thoughtful smile

Bunbaker Sat 14-Jun-14 20:34:53

From what I've read about baby showers on MN I think an afternoon tea sounds lovely and would appeal more to the guests.

MN posters seem to cringe at the idea of baby related food and the silly games that are forced upon them and I think some people stay away from baby showers because of this (plus the general grabbiness of them).

SunnyRandall Sat 14-Jun-14 20:38:08

Also if you are feeling creative, a nappy cake makes a good centrepiece. Basically it is rolled up nappies and muslins, decorated with dummies, nappy pins etc to look like a big cake.

youtube tutorial here

SunnyRandall Sat 14-Jun-14 20:39:11

Afternoon tea theme sounds perfect. Basically what you would normally do with a few tweaks.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:39:34

Thank you Sunny. Its just that I can still remember what it was like years and years ago being pregnant and living in a strange foreign country. I just don't want it for the lovely girls my sons have married because they are as much entitled to being spoilt and looked after as my eldest daughter was and my youngest one will be one day.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 14-Jun-14 20:39:44

I think afternoon tea would be much nicer than naff games and novelty food. Much more civilised.

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:40:11

I just saw the nappy cake lololol

Thank you smile

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:41:21

Thank you Shatner, truth be told I'm actually quite excited about this now. smile

GrannyOnTheSchoolRun Sat 14-Jun-14 20:45:12

I won't be back in till morning now. Its late here and time for bed.

Thank you smile

SunnyRandall Sat 14-Jun-14 20:45:16

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now