Got a view on how to fry an egg?

(12 Posts)
LoblollyBoy Thu 12-Jun-14 20:31:50

Just add it here. I'm frying some just now. I use a lid. Seems wrong.

PolterGoose Thu 12-Jun-14 21:41:26

I've never used a lid. Mine go into warm oil, not too hot it spits, and to keep the whites white and not brown and crispy. Once nearly done I tilt the frying pan and flick oil over the yolks to finish cooking.

hazeyjane Thu 12-Jun-14 21:42:43

low heat, no lid, cook until white has set, turn of heat and turn egg over.

minipie Thu 12-Jun-14 22:00:23

Cast iron pan if poss. Properly hot. Bit of oil. Crack in egg, give it a few sec so the white goes crispy (I like brown and crispy whites), turn heat down a bit till white cooked.

mawbroon Thu 12-Jun-14 22:17:29

What PolterGoose said.

DH fried some eggs earlier and the entire hob is covered in oil splatters.

My way makes braw eggs and saves on cleaning too grin

Catsmamma Thu 12-Jun-14 22:22:14

flat side of non stick griddle...brush with oil, heat to really quite hot

egg onto griddle, leave it there till it looks right! I flip mine over briefly to ensure no egg bogies, but dd likes hers right side up. My mother likes hers turned over and over and pressed, poked and prodded for fear there may be a microspeck of runny yolk which would of course lead to salmonella --and instant death.

Blackjackcrossed Fri 13-Jun-14 05:35:09

I like them crispy, use butter for a better flavour and browning. Cook till the yolk starts to bubble.

Sweetmotherfudger Fri 13-Jun-14 05:48:15

Hot oil. Once it starts to go crisp spoon some of the oil over the yolk to make sure it's warm. Also don't use a fresh egg. It will spit.

firesidechat Fri 13-Jun-14 09:15:53

A dash of oil, medium heat, fry until most of the white is cooked and spoon hot oil over the white until it is all cooked and yolk is runny. No lid.

LoblollyBoy Fri 13-Jun-14 21:25:51

Guys, I hear you. I have heard of this no lid method. Flicking hot oil seems so cheffy somehow, but I am going to have to try it.

FTS123 Fri 13-Jun-14 23:33:10

Medium heat, lid on for last few minutes to steam away the donkey snot on top of the yolk smile

LoblollyBoy Sat 14-Jun-14 21:29:34

I've tried it without a lid, and I can see why I started the lid habit. By the time I've done enough flicking to be comfortable with the topmost layer the yolk is cooked too much for my taste. I can get really runny yolk with nothing dubious on the top with a lid. Not wrong after all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now