Savoury banana recipe?

(14 Posts)
SixImpossible Fri 06-Jun-14 15:15:05

Ive tried banana cake, banana flapjacks and banana bread. None of my lot like them. Does anyone have a savoury banana use-up recipe?

wafflyversatile Sat 07-Jun-14 00:29:25

Banana and peanut butter on toast?

Salted caramel banoffee pie? I have no idea if this exists. You could invent it and become famous and rich and I could sue you.

SixImpossible Sat 07-Jun-14 09:25:06

I luuuuurve banana and crunchy peanut butter. It is a match made in heaven. Just not when the banana is over-ripe, it needs to be a nice eating banana.

Salted caramel banofee is sheer genius, but may have to wait a few years untily dc fully outgrow their dairy intolerances. (I live in hope, as they seem to react less and less.)

But I was thinking of something really savoury like, oh, I don't know, a Lamb and Banana Tagine perhaps. Hmmm, wonder whether that would work?

wafflyversatile Sat 07-Jun-14 09:28:42

Mm. Sounds um delicious.

Maybe buy fewer bananas?

Use them in a smoothie? Or porridge?

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sat 07-Jun-14 09:28:45

Banana fritters?
Some curries have banana in them
Put slices of banana into little thick pancakes, in the pan as you make them. Great with bacon!

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 07-Jun-14 10:42:28
mousmous Sat 07-Jun-14 10:50:41

what we had sometimes as a child was bananas wrapped in ham spread thinly with mustard. then baked.

the dc love banana pancakes
mash 4 bananas add 2 egg and a cup of flour. teaspoon baking powder. thick batter, like for american pancakes.

Eminybob Sat 07-Jun-14 10:59:14

On Great British Menu, someone cooked a chicken stuffed with banana. It was literally a banana inside a rolled chicken breast. It had some spices etc added too. Indian I think.

Aliama Sat 07-Jun-14 12:03:54

Theres a banana and beef curry on the Good food website, which I found tasty:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beef-potato-banana-curry-cashew-rice

Meant to be underripe bananas though...

SixImpossible Sat 07-Jun-14 12:13:28

Under-ripe bananas can be used in place of plantains, I think, but that's a very different flavour. Somehow bland and tart at the same time.

I think I will try these ideas, thanks. I can imagine sweet, fragrant over-ripe bananas going very well with curry flavours (actually, I can imagine them going well with tagine flavours, too!) but I cannot imagine bananas with mustard confused. All the more reason to experiment!

Grainy mustard, or Colman's?

CorusKate Sat 07-Jun-14 12:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mousmous Sat 07-Jun-14 13:12:28

we used smooth mustard thinly onto the thinly sliced ham and then baked under the grill. was actually quite nice. remember having something similar in a tapas bar but with streaky bacon and dates.

SixImpossible Sat 07-Jun-14 13:40:55

ChorusKate grin We all like bananas, just not bruised or over-ripe ones. It doesn't matter how many or how few I buy, there is always one left lonely and unwanted, blackening in the fruit bowl.

CorusKate Sat 07-Jun-14 13:46:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now