Peanut butter

(24 Posts)
Swex Fri 16-May-14 12:59:43

I always watch in amazement as my dh puts butter on toast before he puts on peanut butter. I think the clue is in the name and don't out extra butter on.

I was idly wondering what the general consensus was on this matter....

BikeRunSki Fri 16-May-14 13:05:08

I don't routinely butter pb toast, mainly because of calories, but it is yummy if you do!

Tobagostreet Fri 16-May-14 13:05:59

Yuck! You're right. Absolutely no need for butter to be spread when using peanut butter (which sort of melts on its own).

Almost as bad as spreading butter on toast before jam (boak!).

PhoneSexWithMalcolmTucker Fri 16-May-14 13:08:06

I do butter and peanut butter. It's too claggy without. I also do butter and jam, why wouldn't you?

Tobagostreet Fri 16-May-14 13:16:27

Phonesex - because it's wrong. And when I run the zoo, I'll be banning it outright! grin

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 16-May-14 13:20:12

I always butter first, no matter what the topping.

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 16-May-14 14:12:55

Peanut butter isn't butter as such though is it?

Butter, peanut butter and jam in this house. We like to live on the wild side.

TheBookofRuth Fri 16-May-14 14:31:10

I don't add butter when having pb, but my DM does. I was revolted when I realised this, and made the point about it being butter on butter.

Then she made it for me like that by mistake...and it's bloody delicious! I still don't make it that way myself, because frankly I could do without the extra calories, but it's made the "normal" version less appealing to me, which is really annoying!

mrspremise Fri 16-May-14 14:38:36

Butter under crunchy PB, but never under smooth here...

Swex Fri 16-May-14 17:00:38

Thanks. I see the field is divided. So my dh is not the freak I thought! I would try it, but absolutely don't need the calories as pb is my secret pleasure as it is!

sharond101 Fri 16-May-14 21:55:33

No butter here either but need butter with jam. My DF puts butter with everything the weirdest I think of is with cheese spread.

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 16-May-14 22:13:25

Butter first here. Never heard of anyone who doesn't.

Gerty1002 Sat 17-May-14 07:48:02

No butter here but I'm going to have to try it now!

I always butter before jam.

Fairylea Sat 17-May-14 07:50:01

Butter with everything and tons of it.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 17-May-14 08:04:14

I started a thread on this years ago, ran into 100s of posts and was a 50/50 split.

I've now discovered lotus biscuit spread and don't put butter under that but do peanut butter.

Swex Sun 18-May-14 15:46:21

Interesting viva. An equal split. And what is lotus biscuit ?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 18-May-14 17:50:48

You know those little sweet but plain biscuits you sometimes get free with coffee in naice coffee shops.

Its those but mushed up into spread. I don't even like the biscuits but the crunchy spread is gorgeous. Not tried the smooth version yet.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 18-May-14 17:51:08

Biscuits on toast is not overly healthy though.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 18-May-14 17:51:53

Here.

Lanabelle Sun 18-May-14 17:55:24

Butter first then peanut butter, same with jam. But I am terrible and do lots of weird things like onl eat Weetabix dry, like brussel sprouts etc

ppeatfruit Mon 19-May-14 15:12:13

I love peanut butter crunchy or smooth BUT and you'll all think I'm really odd, stranger than you lanabelle grin I don't buy the stuff with palm oil or sugar in so I put olive oil (not the spread) on my toast or ryvita first which needs to be hot. I also put a little marmite type spread on with it shock.

jalapenobusiness Mon 19-May-14 22:34:22

I always had just peanut butter but then saw my friend did as you described. Tasted it! Converted.

As opposed to thick peanut butter on toast I now have butter and really thinly spread PB.

Swex Mon 19-May-14 23:18:35

Sounds like I should try not only bitter but this biscuit spread!

Well, despite the name, peanut butter isn't really butter.

I get the rage with DH putting butter on crackers as well as cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now