Vegetarian buffet style picky bits catering at home....ideas!

(14 Posts)
DoItTooJulia Sun 11-May-14 18:57:18

I love a spread.

I'm thinking ahead to the summer season and I would like to try some new bits. Here's what I normally do (well the repertoire, I don't always do all of it!)

Homemade rosemary focaccia
orzo salad with sundried tomatoes and fresh cherry tomatoes with torn basil
Tomato, mozzarella, pesto and basil salad
Roasted vegetable cous cous
Bulghar wheat tabbouleh
Crisps and dips
Green salad
Dressed avocado salad
Puff pastry topped with either aspargus and whit sauce or tomatoes and sundried tomato paste
Pizza
Olives
Cheeseboard
Bruschetta, sometimes topped with creamy mushrooms instead of trad tomatoes
Mini spring rolls
Crudités
Mini baked new potatoes

I've seen some Pinterest recipes for a Greek salad construction in a single piece of little gem lettuce and I'm after some more inspiration like that!

EasterSundaySimmons Mon 12-May-14 05:36:52

Easy one which fits your Mediterranean style is baked Tomatoes with Pesto.

Just slice, not to thinly, tomatoes and lay spaced out in a single lay on oven tray. Drizzle with olive oil, flavoured one if you have it. Season with salt and pepper and bake. You can add pesto whilst baking or add after, your choice.

You can also add vegetarian hard cheese and add to tomatoes after ten minutes and return to oven.

DoItTooJulia Mon 12-May-14 19:28:41

Lovely, thank you!

I've just reread my list and it's very tomato heavy!

Any other ideas, anyone?

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Mon 12-May-14 19:38:17

Balls of puff pastry filled with onion chutney and cheese - or same combination as little tartlets.

Onykahonie Mon 12-May-14 19:41:39

I love a good veggie buffet!

How about: falafels, Greek salad, rice or pasta salad, garlic bread/dough balls, mini quiches/tartlets, frittata etc?

Taffeta Mon 12-May-14 19:46:38

Homemade flatbreads with dips
Mange tout, sugar snaps, baby raw veg with aioli
Mango chutney and salsa made from coriander grated carrot mustard seeds and gingerly diced cucumber in tiny poppadoms
Coriander satay
Most Otttolenghi salads

I had a lovely black rice salad recently with pomegranate seeds and grapefruit in

Taffeta Mon 12-May-14 19:49:00

Oh yes and whole baked feta or camembert with stuff to dip in it
Asparagus dipped in soft boiled egg
Baby broad beans with shaved pecorino
Mango radish and walnut salad
Puy lentil feta and sundried tomato salad

BikeRunSki Mon 12-May-14 19:55:07

Individual frittatas baked in ham tart tin.

meerschweinchen Mon 12-May-14 20:00:10

Your list sounds amazing! All the sorts of food I love.

I also like sweetcorn fritters,cauliflower pakoras and so on. They're all in River Cottage Veg book. Also Caponata is really nice, and easy (and better) to prepare in advance, Leave in the fridge, and just bring up to room temperature when you need it.

MollyBdenum Mon 12-May-14 20:09:48

Watermelon, feta and mint with a strong olive oil and a bit of lemon juice.

DoItTooJulia Mon 12-May-14 22:28:17

Oh wow, so many ideas!

I love a frittata, why have I never thought to do one on a Buffett????
I do make the odd quiche too. Either spinach and ricotta, cheese and onion or vegetable usually with a whole wheat pastry base. How could I forget??

My mum doesn't eat cheese, so while I will put cheese dishes out, I don't tend to go to OTT, but I love the whole melting Camembert for dipping. Definitely on the list.

I don't make rice salads, so will start experimenting. Our asparagus beds have started cropping properly, so yes to asparagus dishes too!

Thanks all!

DoItTooJulia Thu 15-May-14 18:35:39

Thanks!

sharond101 Thu 15-May-14 22:31:34

Stuffed peppers
vegetable tempura
vegetable strudel
arancini

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now