The Mumsnet family cookbook is now out!

(229 Posts)
SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 26-Apr-14 09:29:39

Morning folks,

A quick heads-up. Some of you (particularly those of you who put in the hours testing the recipes grin) may recall that we've been working on a Mumsnet cook book of your favourite, foolproof family recipes for some time now.

Well it's being published by Bloomsbury on Thursday 8th June and you can buy a copy of it over on Amazon.

thanks again for all your help with the book - it literally (and we mean that literally) wouldn't exist without you. And if you're after a warm glow, check out what no less a kitchen superstar than Yotam Ottolenghi had to say about it:

"Family recipes - tried and tested... and tested... and tested - win hands down in any tasting competition I have ever attended. This book is an ultimate collection of such winners: reliable, useful and, most importantly, completely delicious."

ANOTHER UPDATE: We've added another video of the lovely RebeccaMumsnet demo-ing the fantastic 'Cheat's Tandoori Chicken' which we ate and was utterly delish.

UPDATE: We got the lovely RebeccaMumsnet to try her hand at the Three Minute Sponge - see the (rather good) results for yourself...

{{youtube L2WJjd-n0HI}}

barefootcook Tue 03-Jun-14 10:07:01

Has anyone tried the ice cream cone cupcakes? I am keen to make them for a birthday party but will need to bake them the day before. If I do this, will the come go soggy?

I have my eye on the lamb and butternut squash stew for tomorrow. Weather due to be foul, so stew just feels right!

ShineSmile Tue 03-Jun-14 13:38:38

Where is the cheapest place to get a copy of the book?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 03-Jun-14 14:10:33

ShineSmile well it's on Amazon for 9 which is pretty good and presumably Tesco is stocking it at a competitive price too.

onetiredmummy Wed 04-Jun-14 11:54:12

I made the lunchbox bars, baked them for the stated time & bloody hell they could break your teeth they are that hard. First lot in the bin, shall I take down the cooking time a bit for the next load?

ScienceRocks Wed 04-Jun-14 14:15:53

Made the salmon espagnol last night, it was very nice indeed, and very nice and easy smile

AgathaHannigan Wed 04-Jun-14 22:10:50

£9 on amazon!

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jun-14 13:52:30

Can report success with the Kleftiko yesterday - I had it on low in the slow cooker for 8 hours - think it would happily go for 10...

Cantdothisagain Thu 05-Jun-14 14:47:34

Justine I too made the kleftiko yesterday - was in for 8 hours too and meat came out beautifully tender.
I reckon it's a forgiving recipe and anything from 7 up to 10 hours would work fine - the lamb generated lots of fat which I guess basted it too..

CecyHall Thu 05-Jun-14 17:17:00

I bought this book yesterday (and got it with my Sainsburys brand match coupon so it only cost me £3!).

I love the look of so many of the recipes and can't wait to try them.

I'm also enjoying the suggestions here- especially the ham with fluffy eggs idea as I want to do it for dinner (we aren't breakfast people) and that will make it just the job.

ShineSmile Thu 05-Jun-14 17:18:47

Just ordered mine off Amazon - really excited now! grin

BeattieBow Fri 06-Jun-14 20:49:54

we've had such success this week with the burgers (both meat and veggie), emergency noodles (or whatever they're called) and the chickpea and potato curry. oh and the ricotta and tomato pasta bake.

and also the ladies who lunch tart.

Tonight was salmon espanol and the three minute pudding (delicious but I needed to double up ingredients).

I wish there were more veggie recipes in it though.

Can you actually bug this in a shop? I tried waterstones, eh smiths, a local bookshop and supermarket and no one stocks it, is it only on amazon?

ShineSmile Fri 13-Jun-14 14:36:26

Got my copy and really looking foward to trying out many of them.

I made the chocolate fridge cake yesterday and it came out lovely but it didn't set. I did substitute butter with vitalite (as we are dairy free). Could it be that?

ThePhysicianUnknown Sat 14-Jun-14 10:08:31

Shine if the Vitality is soft and spreadable straight from the fridge, then yes, possibly. I'm not sure if there are any dairy free substitutions that would be as solid as cold butter?

ThePhysicianUnknown Sat 14-Jun-14 10:09:39

Social I think Tesco stock the book, and some bookstores but not sure which ones.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jun-14 13:44:01

ShineSmith - yes you have to use block margarine rather than a tub spread or it won't harden up.

SocialButterfly - we're going to get a full list of stockists from the publisher and will post it here as soon as we have it.

CecyHall Tue 17-Jun-14 20:08:44

Oh my gosh- made the pulled pork tonight. Possibly the best thing I have ever made in my cooking life.

Also made the lunch bars with the baby, they went down well.

And yesterday I made the sticky chicken which was also really good (even though I don't think it should be in the lunch box section)

FuriousDuckling Wed 18-Jun-14 15:01:25

I LOVE this book. I am a total cooking idiot and have already made about 8 of these recipes that have (insultingly) surprised dh with how yummy they turned out.

Agree with AnonymousBird and the Amazon reviewer though that it would be useful in the slowcooker chapter to have alternative cooking instructions. I am not allowed any more cooking gadgets taking up space! But the recipes in that chapter look lovely and I am envy

Does anyone know how to "translate" the recipes to hob or oven cooking?

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Jun-14 15:11:14

FuriousDuckling/AnonymousBird - You're quite right and in our next book (of course you'll all have to keep reviewing the current one brilliantly on Amazon for that to happen) we'll definitely do that with any slow cooking recipes we feature.

Thanks Catherine.

Duckling, yes, agree a rule of thumb translation guide would be useful! Low oven, chuck it all in the casserole is what I would mostly try but something a bit more prescriptive may be needed for some recipes?? Not sure, have no slow cooker experience, so welcome the views of someone who does.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 18-Jun-14 17:22:11

SocialButterfly - have just heard back from the publishers. You can buy it in Tescos, Sainsbury's, WH Smith and Waterstones. But if you can, always best to give the latter two a call to check it's in stock before you make the journey.

FuriousDuckling Thu 19-Jun-14 10:11:12

I bought mine in Costco! Just need to work out how/if you can review something on Amazon if you didn't buy it there...

Catherine thanks for response on slow cooking. Anonymous let us know how your experiments go!

Thank you mnhq I got it in tesco in the end. Definitely none in my local waterstones.

ScienceRocks Tue 01-Jul-14 07:28:34

CatherineHMumsnet, could you put non-slow cooker instructions. On this thread please? I'm sure many of us would happily add them to our books, and we will all be ever so grateful <hopeful emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now