The Mumsnet family cookbook is now out!

(229 Posts)
SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 26-Apr-14 09:29:39

Morning folks,

A quick heads-up. Some of you (particularly those of you who put in the hours testing the recipes grin) may recall that we've been working on a Mumsnet cook book of your favourite, foolproof family recipes for some time now.

Well it's being published by Bloomsbury on Thursday 8th June and you can buy a copy of it over on Amazon.

thanks again for all your help with the book - it literally (and we mean that literally) wouldn't exist without you. And if you're after a warm glow, check out what no less a kitchen superstar than Yotam Ottolenghi had to say about it:

"Family recipes - tried and tested... and tested... and tested - win hands down in any tasting competition I have ever attended. This book is an ultimate collection of such winners: reliable, useful and, most importantly, completely delicious."

ANOTHER UPDATE: We've added another video of the lovely RebeccaMumsnet demo-ing the fantastic 'Cheat's Tandoori Chicken' which we ate and was utterly delish.

UPDATE: We got the lovely RebeccaMumsnet to try her hand at the Three Minute Sponge - see the (rather good) results for yourself...

{{youtube L2WJjd-n0HI}}

schilke Sun 27-Apr-14 12:44:05

Is it worth buying for a family of vegetarians? How many meat free recipes are there?

schilke Sun 27-Apr-14 12:52:02

It's £14.60 at Foyles with free delivery. Just found it at Speedyhen (never heard of it!) for £11.99 with free delivery. Amazon has it at £20 at the moment.

Sunnymeg Sun 27-Apr-14 14:39:30

When I've preordered books from Amazon in the past, they have price matched on the day of publication, hopefully they will do it with this.

chocolatespiders Sun 27-Apr-14 16:33:49

As the recipes were donated my mumsnetters I wrongly thought it may be raising money for something!

I forget how far Mumsnet has come along since I first joined blush

andsmile Sun 27-Apr-14 16:42:39

chocolate I thought earlier how enterprising of MNHQ to source the recipes. I had assumed the contributor would get paid somehow OR there is a donation to charity involved.

TimeForAnotherNameChange Sun 27-Apr-14 16:57:37

TheBookPeople will have it for a fiver by the summer holidays.

ImAThrillseekerBunny Sun 27-Apr-14 17:04:17

Anything you post on MN becomes the intellectual property of MNHQ - it's there in the T&C.

IIRC the testers were entered to a draw to win prizes, so did it with their eyes open. I tested one of them but can't remember what name I did it under.

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 27-Apr-14 17:21:18

Looking forward to trying some of the ones in the Times yesterday

andsmile Sun 27-Apr-14 17:24:59

IamAThrill aha I see...<laughs> the thought of anyone wanting to own the stuff I post on MN.

Topseyt Sun 27-Apr-14 18:03:13

I might look at some of the recipes in The Times this week, and I could put this on my wishlist as a birthday present later this summer (hubby usually gives me an Amazon voucher or something like that).

Mouseface Sun 27-Apr-14 18:55:39

I actually thought that the title read - "The Mumsnet family cookbook is being sterilised in the Times this week"

<must find more wine and reading glasses> grin

littleducks Sun 27-Apr-14 20:25:17

Anyone know where the article is in today's paper? I can't find the right section

Southeastdweller Sun 27-Apr-14 20:34:00

It's not in today's - it was in only in yesterday's and the editions this coming week.

BIWI Sun 27-Apr-14 22:56:09

Brilliant! I'm so pleased to see it has come to fruition!

For all of those moaning quibbling about the cost - there is a huge amount of work involved in putting together a cookery book. Each recipe has to be not only written/edited, but also tested and then photographed. Just think how much that must cost - the cost of ingredients, as well as the cost of professional photography.

And the profits have to go to Mumsnet. That's what keeps this site free for us all to use

flowers

Rosalie82 Mon 28-Apr-14 08:41:55

I am delighted at this - woo hoo! Need a few more ideas, and have been loving the threads on here about food smile

Ordering my copy now!

RatherBeOnThePiste Mon 28-Apr-14 09:25:30

<buys Mousey reading glasses>

Oooooooo

I NEED this, I am so shocking at cooking, i need help, so this could be fablarse. I did think about offering to be a tester, then I laughed and laughed and thought best not, you'd probably want sensible folk.

smile

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Apr-14 10:51:10

In response to Spiderlight and Schilke - there are 83 vegetarian recipes in total - so 69%. And of those, the veggie recipes which aren't cake/biscuit/dessert amount to 49 so 41% of the total. We have a whole chapter devoted to Lovely Veggies too.

Mouseface Mon 28-Apr-14 18:12:40

<puts specs on, ah, there you are Pisety> grin

Nibblyboy Mon 28-Apr-14 18:13:21

i bet its RIVEN with fricken dried mixed herbs

wink

Nibblyboy Mon 28-Apr-14 18:15:02

this is actually something that needs a recipe?

Strawberry sundae
"
Serves 1
Ingredients

For the strawberry sauce (makes a large cupful of sauce)
300g strawberries
50g icing sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
To make 1 sundae
A handful of mixed berries
Scoop of vanilla ice cream
1 meringue (optional)
Whipped cream
Sprigs of mint (optional)

This is a recipe for a proper strawberry sauce. Not that stuff with an alarmingly long ingredients list that comes out of a squeezy bottle. It is great with brownies, folded through whipped cream, with ice-cream sundaes, meringues and shortbread. It is also a great way to use up past-their-best strawberries"

shock

Roseformeplease Mon 28-Apr-14 18:39:05

When you look at the recipes on "The Times" app they are not correct. The one today for banana pancakes has the correct ingredients list but the method is for a recipe involving apples - either the one before or after in the list. There was a similar issue yesterday.

Recipes look good though.

SueDNim Mon 28-Apr-14 21:53:22

Aren't all of the recipes on the recipes section of MN.

Cindy34 Tue 29-Apr-14 08:27:07

Price Drop alert: 13.40 today on Amazon UK.
Click the link in the OP.

schilke Tue 29-Apr-14 09:23:24

CatherineHMumsnet - thanks for finding that out. I have an image of you sitting there thumbing through the book working out the percentages grin

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Apr-14 09:26:01

SueDNim - we took recipes from Mumsnet as a starting point, but the book's authors reworked and rewrote them. There's more info about its publication here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now